Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

#Luke21 - THE END OF THE WORLD!

Click here to read Luke 21:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Well, aside from the lesson on giving, this chapter is really about the end times. It's a tricky passage, because many people want to try and interpret the passage to discern what exact world events they are pointing to. Plus there are words used here by Jesus that could be figurative (like "soon" and "generation") or they could be literal. The other challenge is that with prophesy in the Bible, sometimes there was a literal "real-time" fulfillment of the prophecy as well as a future, more complete fulfillment of the prophecy. The temple in Jerusalem was actually destroyed in 70 A.D., while at least some of the disciples were indeed still living. But I don't believe that the end of the world has come and gone because...well...we're still here. Every generation since Jesus has reasoned that some event in their era was the fulfillment of these words (and others), and every generation has come and gone. So while I don't think that it is helpful to try and predict the end of the world, I simply trust Jesus when he basically says, "If you have to ask whether or not it's me, it's not me. When I come, everyone will know."

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

There are other passages about the "end times." Revelation is a book of prophecy filled with descriptions of what the end times are like. Specifically though, this chapter talked about Jerusalem being surrounded on all sides by armies (v.20), plus earthquakes, famines, pestilences, and fearful events and great signs from heaven (v.11). Many of these same descriptions are used in Revelation 16 when God begins to judge the world and the nations gather to a battleground called Armageddon. Revelation is a crazy, weird, confusing book. But there are some great truths from it as well. God wins in the end, and it is those who repent and cry out to the Lord who are rescued. those who are not willing to repent will perish.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Verse 19 really caught my attention as I read through it. "Stand firm, and you will win life." That is what I want. That is what everyone really wants, right? Stand firm in our faith. Do not give in to the patterns and behaviors of this world, and we will be able to stand before Jesus on judgment day - not righteous because of our works, but righteous because of His works and our unwavering faith in him.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What questions don't I have about this passage? I have so many questions, none of which I believe will be fully answered until the other side of death. Actually, many of my question are the same as the disciples'. When will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/End+of+the+world+forget+zombie+appocalypse+this+is+how_81ff12_4760395.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment