Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, April 3, 2015

#Luke23 - Dead Set on his Mission

Click here to read Luke 23:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

As I read the account of Jesus trial, crucifixion, death, and burial of Jesus, what stood out to me most was the pure hatred and utter rejection of the religious leaders. In verse 10, it says they were "vehemently accusing him." In verse 23 it says that "with loud shouts they insistently demanded that he be crucified, and their shouts prevailed." They were dead set against Jesus, and they won...or so they thought. I don't know what I would have done if I were in their shoes, but I'm sure glad Jesus died so my hard heart could be made alive again. Even though they were dead set against Jesus, he was dead set on his mission to restore us to God through his death on the cross.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Someone today made an interesting observation about the thief on the right and the thief on the left being similar to how Jesus described the judgment being like separating sheep and goats. The righteous (those who believed, repented, and lived their life for Jesus) were on one side, and those who rejected Jesus were on the other. I had never made that connection before. I thought it was worth mentioning.

3. What does this mean for my life?

When Jesus was on the cross, he forgave those who mocked and tortured him, and they didn't ever ask for it. They never sat down and confessed their sin. Jesus still pleaded with the Father to forgive them. It's easy to think that we shouldn't forgive someone unless they admit their wrong first, but that only builds up resentment and bitterness inside. I need to remember to be quick to forgive.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

On the way to Golgotha, Jesus gave a mini speech, in which he told the women not to weep for him, because times are gonna get worse. In fact, he said there will be a time when it would be better for women not to have children. What time was he talking about? Or was this just a way to say, there will always be evil, and it will only get worse?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhzoRx8iIXRCuv_TzIzJQVdq3BEednzWI1mhE3xxZnPt99InnDmAmHSheRnlMitadDBv-ZWsVho-QL80HJaoL023wPNtXU3MUDyXANARohIi7nyaPua060HCrBKR_7rTAzV13M0cOlZb8D8/s1600/crucifixion.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment