Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#John15 - Jesus the Spiritual Botanist

Click here to read John 15:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

When Jesus rises from the dead, Mary and the other women actually encounter him after speaking to the angel. Before they realize it's Jesus, they mistake him for the gardener. After reading this chapter, they weren't that far off. I have always been into analogies, because it really causes people to think about spiritual things in common language. The education major in me is jumping for joy at the "higher order thinking skills" that this requires. Jesus sets up this comparison between a vine and some branches. He reminds his disciples that if a branch is not connected to the vine, it cannot produce fruit. He reminds us that we must be connected with the Father through him and that we must obey his commands.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

One thought that really didn't seem to immediately fit with the gardening analogy is when Jesus says, "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." It is clear that Jesus never intends for life to be boring. Rather when we are following him and obeying his commands, he tells us that we can be full of joy. This reminded me of Psalm 51, where David (in the middle of repenting and confessing) says, "Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." There is joy in following Jesus.

3. What does this mean for my life?

This chapter is very convicting. It is a direct reminder to stay connected with God despite a busy schedule. This happens through prayer, scripture reading, worship, fellowship, serving others, loving the people I am in relationship with, enjoying what God has blessed me with, using the gifts God has given me to the best of my abilities, giving generously, and other things. I was also reminded that remaining connected to the vine and bearing fruit comes with a promise that we will be pruned to produce more fruit. If branches could talk, I don't think they would tell us that pruning is particularly pleasant. However, I bet they would say it is always worth it.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I actually don't have any questions about this chapter.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from  http://www.ventanawines.com/assets/client/Image/Vineyard%20Photos/red%20grapes%20Ventana%209.07.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment