Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, April 23, 2015

#John16 #John17 - Wisdom from a Stone

Click here to read John 16-17:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

At Ingham Lake Bible Camp stands a chapel building that was built in 1949, even before the first official camp was held. In the front corner of the building, before you walk in the door, there is a verse inscribed on the cornerstone. It comes from John 17:17 and says, "Sanctify them by thy truth; Thy word is truth." That verse has been a prayer and a desire among staff for all who come to experience God at Ingham. I understand sanctification to describe a life-long transformation that takes place when we let God shape us to become more like Jesus. That happens when we are immersed in the truth of God's word, which can be encouraging or convicting, freeing or guiding, revealing or teaching. We need to keep God's word in the center.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

In John 17:3 and 17:26, it talks about eternal life as knowing God, and then making him known is a natural byproduct. Besides being the mission statement of Ingham Okoboji Lutheran Bible Camps, "To know Jesus Christ, and to make Christ known to all", it reminds me of Philippians 3. Paul is describing the things of this world as rubbish and a loss, compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Jesus talks a lot about the Holy Spirit in these chapters. One of the things he says is that "when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." As I seek God's truth for my life to be transformed, I need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, who will guide me into truth.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Jesus prays at the end of chapter 17 that all believers would be one, that we would be brought together in complete unity. Well, that's not what I see happening today. My question is, what does Jesus mean by oneness and unity. Where does it leave room for different interpretations of Scripture? Where does it leave room for different worship practices? Where does it leave room for different emphases in church life? Maybe it doesn't, but it's not very clear then. How then are we supposed to be totally unified?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

1 comment:

  1. The New Living Translation says for John 17:17 "Make them pure and holy by teaching them your words of truth." This reminds me of another passage that I really like and pray a lot over myself and others- Psalm 119:11 "I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." The more Word and Truth we have in us, the less room for sin. I think that is super amazing and super convicting all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete