Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, April 11, 2015

#John5 - Testify!

Click here to read John 5:



1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

This chapter was again filled with directives to believe in Jesus. It's amazing how much that word has come up in just five chapters of this gospel. But besides that this piece about Jesus having testimony about him really intrigued me. In the culture of that day, there weren't news camera's on every corner. There wasn't Facebook or Instagram or Twitter to spread the word about something. There weren't camera's on everyone's cell phones to capture visual proof of events. Instead, people relied almost entirely on the witness and testimony of others. Jesus is saying that there are really three major testimonies verifying that Jesus is the Son of God. John the Baptist verbally testified that Jesus is the Messiah, God the Father testified about him through the obvious and miraculous work Jesus was doing, and the Scriptures even testified about him. He is trying to use human reasoning to convince the hard-hearted that he really is who he says he is.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

When Jesus healed the invalid by the pool, the man went away and obeyed Jesus fully. Despite the Jewish leaders who were appalled that this healing happened on the Sabbath, Jesus meets up with this guy later and tells him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you." This reminds me of how Jesus handled the situation with the adulterous woman. After he restored her dignity, he said, "Now go and sin no more," or "Go now and leave your life of sin." Jesus doesn't condone sin. He doesn't just dismiss it as okay. But he still offers healing, hope, and salvation to all of us despite our sin. The question is, will we repent, believe in Jesus, and live our life for him?

3. What does this mean for my life?

The way Jesus describes his relationship with God the Father made me realize that I need to let go of some things and really let God have control of my life. "...the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does." I want to be able to say of my life, "Dan can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does Dan also does." That would be the ultimate aim of our sanctification, the process God uses to transform us more and more into his image.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What was Jesus talking about when he said he was going to the dead, and that the dead would hear the voice of God and believe and live. Was he speaking of his death? Like apostles creed "he descended into hell," stuff? That was a little confusing.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.stichtingrevive.nl/uploads/1/1/7/7/11775636/5617080_orig.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment