Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, April 27, 2015

#John20 #John21 - Believe it or not...

Click here to read John 20-21:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

The ending of these two chapters are like little "asides" from the actual story of Jesus. The end of chapter 21 reveals that what we see as recorded in John is not the whole picture. It is an accurate account from an eyewitness, but it does not contain the complete works of Jesus Christ. We know some of the other things, because different eyewitnesses (as recorded in Matthew, Mark, and Luke) contain some of the same stories but also some different ones. I love how he says, "If every one of [Jesus' works] were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." (John 21:25). I also really like at the end of chapter 20 that John even tells us the purpose for writing his gospel account, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John wasn't writing for fame, he wasn't writing for profit; he was writing so everyone who read it would believe in Jesus and receive salvation.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

When I read the story about the miraculous catch of fish, I think back to the beginning of Jesus' ministry when he called the disciples to be fishers of people. It's funny that it begins and wraps up with fish. I don't know that it is incredibly profound, but just interesting.

3. What does this mean for my life?

I really relate to Peter. Just a couple chapters ago, Peter denied Jesus three times after pledging his lifelong support for Jesus. Here in chapter 21, we see Jesus ask Peter three times if he loves him. Jesus knows that Peter loves him, so I think that this exchange is actually more for Peter to be assured that Jesus has forgiven him and restores him to his kingdom work. I know that in my life, I blow it sometimes. There are days, even in the midst of doing ministry, that I feel unworthy to have God use me to change people's lives. But I know that Jesus does forgive sins, and he does claim us as his brothers and sisters and colaborers in the work of God's kingdom. So even though I mess up, Jesus qualifies me to keep on moving forward.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

As I read these chapters, which include multiple descriptions of Jesus appearing to the disciples after his resurrection, my silly question is, "What did Jesus look like after he was raised from the dead?" He must have been in human form, because he still had hands, feet, a recognizable voice, etc. But Mary didn't recognize him at first, the disciples on the road to Emmaus didn't recognize him, the disciples gathered behind locked doors seemed to need some extra convincing, and the disciples at the beach didn't dare ask who he was. There must have been something that was unrecognizable to his face or figure, because it seemed to take people a little while.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://bookwyrmshoard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Piles-of-books_01.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment