Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, April 16, 2015

#John10 - Voice Recognition

Click here to read John 10:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

"When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” (John 10:4-5 NIV)" This really stood out to me, to know that sheep follow the shepherd because they know his voice. To know the voice of the Father = knowing the voice of Jesus = knowing the promptings of the Holy Spirit = knowing God's Word (the Bible).

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

It's interesting to me to hear Jesus talk about other sheep that are not yet here. There remains to be people to gather into the flock. He then talks about there being one flock, and he will be the shepherd. In John 17, Jesus prays for unity, that there would be a oneness among believers just as he and the Father are one. The Bible also talks about "Gentiles" which basically describes anyone who was not Jewish by birth. From the beginning God's plan was to make salvation available to them too. Isaiah 49:6 says, “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”

3. What does this mean for my life?

I think more than being a political-type leader, picturing Jesus as a shepherd is a very comforting thought. A political leader sets policies and works from an office. A shepherd leads by mere presence. A shepherd walks with and talks with his sheep. A shepherd protects his sheep. A shepherd loves his sheep. That's the kind of leader I want to follow.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I have thought about this in general while reading the gospels, but I wonder how much time passes between each section or chapter or event recorded in the gospels. Verse 22 says, "Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter..." So between verse 21 and 22, was it days that passed? Weeks? Months? He seems to talk about almost exactly the same thing, so my gut instinct is that not much time passed. I just think it's interesting to know that Jesus spent about 3 years in ministry, but we don't know much about the timing of each event.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://cdn2.knowyourmobile.com/sites/knowyourmobilecom/files/styles/gallery_wide/public/9/13/132415.jpg?itok=-OpW610J

No comments:

Post a Comment