Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

#John9 - Was blind but now I see!

Click here to read John 9:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

This chapter centers on a man born blind and his encounter with Jesus. Everyone in the story except Jesus misconstrues the man's "misfortune" as a punishment for something. The disciples assume that it was either he or his parents who sinned. The Pharisees remind him that he was steeped in sin from birth. Jesus is the only one that sees this man for who he is - a beloved creation of God. Jesus heals this man, but since it is on a Sabbath the Pharisees go nuts and grill the guy about Jesus. I love that he asks them if they want to be his disciples too. This man has a testimony that no one can argue with, and in sharing it he is pointing people to Jesus. He is the author of one lyrical line in "Amazing Grace." He says, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!"

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Jesus likes to heal on the Sabbath. Well, actually he likes to heal all the time, and some of those times happened to be the Sabbath. He was proving that there is no end, no pausing, no break for God's desire to help people. Yes, we should stop working on the Sabbath, but when someone needs help it is always time to help them. Here are some other accounts of Jesus healing on the Sabbath: Mark 3, Luke 13, and John 5.

3. What does this mean for my life?

It's easy to try to rationalize why certain things happen, but from a human perspective we are severely limited in our reasoning. Almost every time something bad happens, or someone goes through a challenging time, some well-meaning Christian says something like, "Everything happens for a reason." That kind of reminds me of the disciples. At best, that statement is not helpful. At worst, it leaves people to figure out why they are being punished. Perhaps the reason is you made a dumb choice not to study and now you're failing the test. Perhaps the reason is that this world is just broken. People get sick. Natural disasters happen. Employers have to make hard decisions. But I believe that no matter what the reason (if there is one), God wants to reveal himself to us more in every circumstance. He wants us to trust him in the midst of hardships. He wants to comfort us in times of loss. He wants to be our hope in times of despair. He wants to be our rock and refuge when the world is shifting all around us. I need to remember to turn to God in all circumstances.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I always wondered why Jesus spit in the dirt to make mud and then put it in someone's eyes. Why didn't he just touch his eyes, or speak it over the man? It's kind of gross. However, if I knew it would make me see, I wouldn't care at all. I would just want him to do it.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le6zpkIFB81qcgzw1o1_500.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I think the faith of the blind man is so cool- childlike really! He doesn't know a bunch of theology to rationalize faith and God and Jesus but he knows what Jesus did for him- he was blind, and then he could see. So often I think Christians feel like they need to know all of the Bible before they can share about Jesus. But even more powerful than knowing the Bible is the testimony of what Jesus has done in our lives. That speaks a lot to people, too!

    ReplyDelete