Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

#John8 - Children of the devil!

Click here to read John 8:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

For anyone who just thinks that Jesus was a mild-mannered wimp in a white dress kissing babies and walking with sheep all the time, they do not know Jesus. John 8 is a prime display of the powerful paradox of Jesus' compassion and Jesus' strength and fortitude. Jesus is trying to teach the people about the unique relationship between himself and God the Father. The Pharisees come and challenge him with question after question. The ironic thing is that they are asking the right questions, they are just not willing to accept the answers Jesus gives. Because of their hard hearts, Jesus says that they if they were really Abraham's children, then they would believe in him. Instead he says they are children of the devil! That's harsh. Dem's fightin' words.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Jesus talks about being a slave to sin, but if we believe in him we are set free from the bondage of sin. There are other passages that also talk about being a slave to sin and finding freedom in Christ. Romans 6 talks about being freed from slavery to sin and offering ourselves as slaves to righteousness. Galatians 3:22-5:1 also talks about this issue. Anyone who has struggled with sinful addictions would verify right away that slavery to sin is a good way to describe our natural tendancies to please ourselves. The only way to be free is to receive a new life in Christ.

3. What does this mean for my life?

In the story of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery, Jesus shines as he wins the day with grace and restores the woman back to the truth. Jesus did not walk around in judgment over others, but he always spoke the truth. He never sugar coated God's plan for life, and he never watered down God's commands. But he stood in direct contrast to the Pharisees who were quick to throw stones (literally) at someone who sinned. Jesus knew while he was here on earth, people didn't need another judge to walk around and tell them what they did was wrong. He knew we would all stand before the judge one day to give an account for our life. He knew we didn't just need another teacher to explain why adultery was wrong. He knew we needed a Savior, someone to free us from slavery to sin. So he did that. I need to also remember that although it's important that we all know and understand God's word to the best of our abilities, we should exercise grace and even stand up for others.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

At the very end of the chapter, Jesus makes a statement that really sets the Pharisees off. He says, "Before Abraham was, I am!" Now, I don't think that was just a grammar slip. I think what he was doing was using God's holy name of "I AM" for himself. Is this accurate? I know that the New Testament was written in Greek and the Old Testament in Hebrew, so I don't know if that translates perfectly or not. That would be interesting to find out.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://bookjourney.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/1ca1.png?w=468

3 comments:

  1. I think the freedom piece here is huge. It has certainly been a huge part of my life. It is sometimes hard to understand true freedom if you do not realize that you are caught up in bondage to sin. But I think once we see how sin can entangle us, we can better see how we cannot free ourselves- only Jesus can. And His freedom is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete