Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, April 9, 2015

#John3 - There's a reason...

Click here to read John 3:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

There is a reason John 3:16 is one of the most well known (and often displayed) verses from the Bible. Going into the reading of this chapter, I knew that John 3:16 was coming. I know it. I've heard it. I have it memorized, like many Christians and non-Christians alike. I tried to move past it, but it really is the center of the chapter. Not just verse 16, but the few verses immediately following it as well. In fact, verse 17 expounds on the first part of 16, and verse 18 clarifies the second part. Jesus came not to bring judgment (this time) but salvation. Hence his mission and resolve to die on the cross for our sins. But verse 18 makes it clear that that salvation is offered to all who believe. For those who do not believe, there is condemnation. This is clarified at the end of the chapter in verse 36, "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them." John 3:16 says in one verse what all of Scripture is set up to explain. There's a reason we see it so much. If someone were just being introduced to Christianity, this is a great start. So I really admire people that bring the signs to games like this, although I would hope the sign holders would use some discretion and not totally block the view of the people around them for very long. That would be annoying, and could have a reverse effect of winning people to Jesus. :)

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

This made me think of other places in Scripture that really share the gospel clearly in one or two sentences. Here are a couple others I can think of that are similar:

Acts 4:12 - Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

1 John 1:8-9 - If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 5:12 - Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

3. What does this mean for my life?

I don't think I could share about this chapter and not mention one of my favorite verses from Scripture that really shaped my life and ministry. Obviously we look to Jesus as an example for life, but it's depressing comparing ourselves to Jesus all the time. So I really like looking at other people in the Bible, and John the Baptist is one of my favorites. In John 3:22-30, John the Baptist is confronted by someone who is basically saying, "Hey John, this Jesus fellow, the one you were talking about - He's baptizing now too. And teaching. And performing miracles. People are flocking to him. Aren't you worried? or upset? or jealous?" His reply was something like this, "Are you kidding? My whole life's purpose is to point people to Jesus. Now that he's here in the flesh, I couldn't be happier that people are going to him. In fact, if things are going right, he will rise up and I will fade away. Glory be to God!" I love that. I want my life to be like that. If nobody remembers my name, and nobody remembers my love for pizza, and nobody remembers my weird fingers, but people are drawn to Jesus because of my life, I will die in peace. (I can live in peace with that too).

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

When Nicodemus, a Pharisee and council member, came to Jesus initially, he said, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God..." If they knew that, why didn't they all listen to him and believe in him?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://image.minyanville.com/assets/FCK_Jan2011/Image/justin/john316sign.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment