Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, February 27, 2015

#Mark11 - From Hero to Zero

Click here to read Mark 11:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

In 31 years of my life, I have been through 31 seasons of lent, 31 Holy weeks, and 31 Easters. I still can't get over how much Jesus is heralded as King and Savior on Sunday, and on Thursday of the same week the crowds are screaming at Pilate to crucify him, though an innocent man. I realize we are getting into that in the next couple chapters, and in this season of the church, but I know the end of the story. It's the same every time. This isn't a cinderella story. This isn't a pauper or frog turned prince. This is no rags to riches story. This is a Hero to Zero story, of the king of heaven who set aside his divinity and glory to become a man, in order that he might teach us about the Father's love and kingdom, show us the way to live, and ultimately die on the cross so that everyone who believes in him would not perish but have eternal life.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verse 18, the Pharisees look for a way to kill him, but decide not to because, "The whole crowd was amazed at his teaching." This description of Jesus's teaching ministry reminds me of the end of the Sermon on the Mount recorded in Matthew 5-7, which says, "When Jesus had finished saying these things the crowds were all amazed at his teaching. Because he taught as one who has authority and NOT teachers of the law." (emphasis added). People were amazed at his teaching, because I believe it was full of truth, full of grace, and right on the money every time.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Never get into a religious debate with Jesus. :) Seriously though, I mentioned that I can't understand the quick change of tone in the crowds shouting throughout the Holy Week readings. Yet, when I take a deep look at my life and my heart, I recognize times when I'm serving close to Jesus, and then later push him back a little to allow me to think or do my own things. I need to be aware of those times when I step into the slow fade track away from him.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

I have always wondered how to interpret this fig tree story. I'm not really sure of the significance of the fig tree story. Jesus uses it to teach about faith and prayer. But again, I'm not sure. Can I speak in faith and tell a mountain to throw itself into the sea? Is that a literal phrase from Jesus?

Those are my questions and thoughts. I'd love to hear yours. God bless, and keep digging' in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.holidayscelebration.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/what-is-palm-sunday.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment