Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, February 5, 2015

#Matthew24 - Behold He Comes...

Click here to read Matthew 24:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

As Jesus is describing the signs of the coming of the end of the age, there are several pieces that have made it into the fairly popular worship song, Days of Elijah. "Behold he comes, riding on the clouds, shining like the sun, at the trumpet call." But I think this is a part of truth about Scripture that not all Christians are aware of. Almost all Christians understand that we celebrate Jesus's birth at Christmas and bits of the story surrounding that. Most Christians understand that he died on the cross, and still most understand that he was raised from the dead. I think a smaller percentage, but still a majority of Christians understand that he ascended into heaven after rising from the dead. But I don't think it's a majority of Christians who realize that JESUS IS COMING AGAIN! When the right time comes, he'll come. And the overarching message I hear from Jesus, as the disciples are asking for signs, is "If you have to be told that it's me, it's probably not. When I come, there will be no mistaking it."

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

In previous chapters of Matthew (13 especially) Jesus talks about angels coming as harvesters of his souls. That is mentioned again. There are also some other passages that talk about Jesus coming back. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, 2 Thessalonians 1-2, and Revelation (esp. 19). I don't believe Jesus intended for us to spend all our time interpreting these signs and trying to figure out the dates for the end of the world. In fact in the chapter of Matthew he says, no one knows the day or the hour. Instead, he encourages us to live in a way that shows we are ready at anytime. This message is consistent throughout the Bible, especially the New Testament.

3. What does this mean for my life?

This was a really simple but sobering personal application. There is no "break" from living a God-honoring life. We simply can't hang up our "Jesus" hat on the hook while we take a break for awhile then put it back on. We are called to maintain integrity and be filled with the Spirit at all times. I see this as a challenge for myself in the down time, when nobody's watching or when there's "nothing at stake."

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

TONS. But Jesus already gave the answer to most of them...NOBODY KNOWS BUT THE FATHER. I know the concept of the rapture is actually relatively new in Christian teachings (like the last 120 years or so), but this passage sure sounds a lot like that. Someone will be working next to someone else and they vanish. Will this happen suddenly like that?

Good stuff. Keep digging in!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://seashoremary.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/jesus-christ-riding-horse.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment