Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

#Matthew28 - Can't Keep a God Man Down

Click here to read Matthew 28:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Despite everything that had happened to Jesus in the previous two chapters, he still came through victorious. This is no Karate Kid or Battle of Bunker Hill story where Jesus was beaten down or greatly outnumbered but still came back to win. HE WAS DEAD. His greatest victory wasn't in any might or force. His victory was 100% total trust and submission to God the Father and the power of the Holy Spirit to fulfill the promise and plan to raise him up again. In that trust and in that obedience, Jesus allowed himself to hang on the cross to bear upon himself the fullness of the sin from all humanity, thereby becoming the sacrifice that truly could take away the sin of the world. God then raised him from the dead, giving him victory over sin, victory over death, and victory over the devil and all the forces of evil. It just goes to show...you can't keep a God-Man down. :)

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

As I read this line for line, there were many other verses and scripture passages that flickered through my mind. Here are just a few:
Verse 3 - In Revelation 1:12-16, it describes Jesus as being white as wool and shining like the sun
Verse 4 - In Joshua 5, Revelation 22:8, and other places in Scripture, one of the most common reactions to seeing an angel is to fall down out of fear and reverence
Verse 5 - "Do not be afraid..." This seems to be the most common opening line for angels, as in Luke 2, as part of the Christmas story.
Verses 16-20 - There is a similar passage in the opening chapter of Acts, though worded differently

3. What does this mean for my life?

Well, the resurrection of Jesus probably has more implications and impact on my life than any other single event in all of human history. What comes to my mind first and foremost, however, is that because Jesus rose from the dead I know that death does not have the final word. All the promises of Scripture about living forever with God, about eternal life in his presence after we die on this earth, are now believable. In fact, they are not only believable, but they are certain. I can bank my life on it. My faith is in Christ to hold my eternity, and I can think of no better way to spend forever than living in his presence, in a home where the Bible says there will be no more pain, no more crying, no more death, no more darkness, and no more sin.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What Jesus was like in this brief time after being resurrected? I know that he just "appeared" and "disappeared" with different people. He didn't seem to be limited any more to physical dimensions, but the disciples could still touch his hands and his side. I will have to wait and find that one out when I myself am resurrected into a new body. I might understand better then.

That's it for today. Tomorrow we'll start the gospel of Mark. God bless, and keep digging in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://media1.razorplanet.com/share/512836-5594/resources/567270_EmptyTomb.png

1 comment:

  1. It would have been crazy and terrifying to be at the tomb that morning. You can hardly blame the guards for fainting! It is almost hard to picture what it would have been like! To be a fly on the wall.... I wonder who the angel of the Lord was- Gabriel? Also, was Jesus already alive when the angel came or did that angelic appearance trigger his resurrection? I also love the obedience of the women, who were probably so terrified they could hardly move. I also find it bewildering in verse 17 that the disciples worshipped Jesus, but some still doubted. What? It is JESUS again! How can you possibly doubt? But Jesus says in another account that blessed are those who believe even though they cannot see Him. That is comforting to me, too! I can't wait for Easter already!!!

    ReplyDelete