Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

#Matthew23 - Warnings Hit Close To Home

Click here to read Matthew 23:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I think more than any one thing in this chapter, what stood out to me was that Matthew used a whole chapter to share Jesus words of warning against the Pharisees and teachers of the law. The gospel of Matthew was written for a Jewish audience who would understand all the nuances of Jewish customs and laws. In addition, they would have a generally strong knowledge of the "Old Testament" Scriptures and would know a lot about the prophecies about the Messiah. So Matthews gospel was written largely to say, "See how Jesus fulfills all of this?" So in this chapter, it seems that Matthew wanted to emphasize Jesus' teaching about all of these practices of the teachers of the law that missed God's heart behind the law in a big way.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In Matthew 5-6 (part of the Sermon on the Mount), Jesus also addresses some of these issues more generally. For instance, today's chapter talks about their desire to be seen in public by others for their public acts of prayer. Jesus contrasts that in Matthew 6 by encouraging us not to pray in order to be seen by people but rather in secret. In Matthew 5 he talks about making oaths, that we should instead simply let our "yes be yes and our no be no". In this chapter, he simply points out these things specifically in the Pharisees.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Well, as the title indicates this chapter would be easy to dismiss as irrelevant since it is directed at a group of Pharisees 2000 years ago. But there are pieces of these that seemed to hit close to home for me. Am I shutting the door of heaven in anyone's face? Have I dismissed anyone too quickly? Have I let my prejudices shape my ministry? Have I painted such a beautiful religious exterior to mask a sinful interior? I know that really every Christian would technically be a hypocrite to some degree or another, but that is really part of espousing to the goal of "being perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect." It's the openness and honesty about those flaws that create the humility the Pharisees obviously never had.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

In the last verse of the chapter, Jesus says that they will not see Jesus again until they 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord." What does this mean? We're already past his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Is he talking about his resurrection? Is he talking about his second coming? We know the disciples saw him after he was resurrected, but I'm not sure about the "crowds" that Jesus was also speaking to (v.1).

That's it for today. God bless, and keep digging in!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/77/36566.Capture.PNG

2 comments:

  1. 5 times in this chapter he starts out with the phrase "How terrible it will be for you teachers of religious law and your Pharisees. Hypocrites!" Yikes. Add to that the whole brood of vipers talk and them's fightin' words! :) I think we all get defensive when someone says something that cuts right to our core. A lot of times I think that can be the conviction of the Holy Spirit. And there are two ways to react. One is to react like the Pharisees and Saduccees and completely turn away from Jesus (blasphemy of the Holy Spirit- the only unforgivable sin). The other is to turn toward Jesus, on our knees, and repentant. To know that He is right- we are sinners and desperately need him. And the funny thing is that each reaction brings separate consequences. #1 in the first scenario is life apart from Jesus. #2 in the second scenario is eternal life with Him. The main difference is humility. Help me be humble, O Lord!

    ReplyDelete