Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, February 7, 2015

#Matthew25 - Ready or Not...

Click here to read Matthew 25:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

So these parables have always been a little confusing to me. But this time reading through it, I noticed something different. Although one hints at stewardship and another at social justice, I these three parables could all be under the category of "being ready. " This has two major implications. The first is that we should realize Jesus could come back at any moment and life our life in a way that he would approve of. The second is that we should be ready at any moment to be available for his use, for anything from feeding the hungry to visiting the poor. Coming on the heels of chapter 24 and the end of the age, I think it makes sense that these illustrations would all be about being ready.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verse 12, the Lord's response to the virgins who had to go buy more oil is, "I tell you, I don't know you." Jesus shares a similar response in describing good and bad fruit in Matthew 7. He said, "Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord..." Then I will tell them plainly I never knew you." This idea of salvation and condemnation is linked with knowing Christ,

3. What does this mean for my life?

As I mentioned in the first question, I need to open my eyes more to see the opportunities every day to reach out to others that God has placed in my path. I need to be ready to serve others when I am able.

4. What questions do I have about the passage?

Why did the third servant get punished for his careful handling of his master's money? Would the master's reaction have been different if the two had invested the coins but not gotten any return or lost some principle?

That's all for tonight. God bless, and keep digging in.

In Chirst,
Dan Antoine

image from http://www.agnusday.org/strips/Matthew25v01to13_2002.jpg


1 comment:

  1. The parable of the masters and his servants is an interesting one. And I don't necessarily think the third servant was being careful with the money. I think he was being lazy. The other two certainly took a risk to invest their money, and maybe if they had not received any interest back the master would have still been pleased that they had taken the risk. The last one took no risk at all. Maybe this parable is more than a parable of investment but a parable of risking our reputation for the sake of the Gospel...? Or about trusting God to use us in people's lives when we aren't sure about the outcome???

    ReplyDelete