Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, February 22, 2015

#Mark7 - No Germ-X for Jesus

Click here to read Mark 7:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

In today's American culture where everything has to be super-sanitized and squeaky clean, many people might look at the Pharisee's objection as very appropriate. After all, we probably should wash before eating, and who wouldn't wash their dishes before using them. But this isn't really what Jesus was talking about. You see, the Pharisees weren't really concerned with the spread of germs as they were about making rules as to who was "in" and who was "out" of God's favor. It was almost a sort of competition as to who could add the most rules to God's command and keep them. In this "game" they played, it was worth bonus points if you could find fault in others to keep them out of arms reach of you in your quest for self-righteousness. Declaring someone unclean was the equivalent of saying, "You are out of God's favor until you play by our rules." While Jesus didn't neglect the commands of God, he did speak out strongly against this "game" the Pharisees and teachers of the law were into playing. He made it very clear that abstaining form certain kinds of food and ceremonial washings was not what made a person righteous. Rather, it was a heart turned towards God and set on doing his will that made a person "clean."

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

I started this chapter-a-day journey by reading the book of Acts. In chapter 10, Peter receives a vision from God who reassured him that it was okay to eat certain foods that the Jewish people had traditionally declared "off-limits." In fact, in this vision the voice specifically clarified that we should not call anything impure that God has made clean. In Mark 7 here, we also see clarification that Jesus is specifically declaring all foods to be "clean" (that is, they are not "off-limits" from a religious standpoint).

3. What does this mean for my life?

I know this story of the Syrophoenician woman appears in the other gospels with even a little more dialogue recorded, but what struck me about reading this is that even though she could have dismissed her own request as insignificant, she asked nonetheless. She could have written herself off as secondarily important (as Jesus sarcastically replies). She could have said, "There are other more pressing things Jesus has to do; I shouldn't bother him." But she didn't. She had faith that Jesus could and would bring healing. I have often held back prayers and requests for myself or others because I didn't feel like I was worthy, or the requests weren't worthy of God's attention. I need to have faith to trust that God cares about every aspect of his children's lives, and be bold about asking in prayer.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

Spit? on someone's tongue? Why? I also love that Jesus told people not to spread the news of his healings, but "the more he did so, the more they kept talking about it." Why did he say that, and why didn't they listen? I think I know the answer to both of those questions, but kind of just wonder any way.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours. Keep digging in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/227914/300.jpg

1 comment:

  1. One thing that I wondered as I read this passage was about the woman's daughter possessed by demons. It made me wonder a few things. First- how does someone become possessed by demons? This was a little girl- it seems odd that a little girl would be demon possessed. Second- does demon possession still happen today and if so, what does that look like?

    ReplyDelete