Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, March 1, 2015

#Mark12 - Tax Season For Jesus Too

Click here to read Mark 12:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Two different parts of this chapter deal specifically with money. The first is about paying taxes. The Jews hated the Romans and the oppression brought on by empire. Even though they enjoyed some religious freedoms, they still had hopes that the Messiah would come and rescue them from the Romans and their other enemies. So when the leaders ask this question about taxes, they are either hoping that Jesus will say, "Yes, you should pay taxes to Caesar," at which point he would lose favor with the people, or "Give your money to God instead of Caesar," at which point the Roman guards would arrest him and deal with him as an insurrectionist trying to rebel against the Emperor. The answer Jesus gives is not just a way to dodge a tough situation. Instead he addresses it very truthfully, biblically, and practically that nobody could argue.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

The parable of the tenants has always been striking to me ever since I understood the meaning of it all. The political leaders, religious leaders and teachers of the law are the tenants that God has placed on earth to "take care of the church." And the prophets are the messengers he has sent. But almost none of the prophets were taken seriously, and many were beaten, mocked, and or hanged. When that "didn't work" he sent his Son. But just like they mistreated the prophets, they mistreated the Son too. This reminds me of Hebrews 1:1-2, "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son..."

3. What does this mean for my life?

I am humbled when I read the story of the Widow's Offering. It is so special. I just picture Jesus hanging out, seeing what he saw, and jumping to get his disciples, "Look! Look! Come see this!" Jesus was not resentful or negative about all the other gifts, but he recognized that though the others were giving large sums of money, the woman's offering was the largest. I need to remember that I should be giving not just what is easily planned, but regular offerings with some of it being sacrificial in some way.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Does Jesus negate the possibility of recognizing loved ones in heaven? I don't think so, but he is definitely saying that things will be different and we won't have need for formal marriage relationships then.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours. Until then, keep digging in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2012/04/26/markets/h-and-r-block-stock/hr-block.gi.top.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment