Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, February 15, 2015

#Mark2 - Jesus Heals, Eats, Fasts, and Rests "Wrong"

Click here to read Mark 2:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

In each story contained in this chapter, Jesus is being criticized for doing a certain kind of ministry "wrong." Jesus forgives a man and heals him, and the teachers of the law are upset. Jesus eats dinner with tax collectors and "sinners" and the leaders are upset. His disciples weren't fasting at the same time as the Pharisees and they were upset. Jesus wasn't following all of the Pharisee's extra commands on the Sabbath, and they were upset. It was just amazing to me how Jesus did things that were right on target with the heart of God, but people were so caught up in their religious traditions and rules that they couldn't see it.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

When Jesus offered forgiveness of sins to the paralyzed man, the Jewish audience recognized right away that he was revealing his divinity. He might as well have said, "Since I am God, I forgive you of your sins against me and my Father, Yahweh." Except then they may have crucified him at that point. Anyway, this isn't the only time Jesus openly reveals his identity as divine. In a conversation with the Pharisees in John 8, Jesus used the words, "I am" about himself. The Jews immediately recognized that he was saying his name is Yahweh. When Peter declares that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God, in Matthew 16:16 Jesus says that this was revealed by God. There are other places too where Jesus describes himself as the bread of life, the light of the world, the resurrection and the life, and other names.

3. What does this mean for my life?

I think that many times I am afraid of going outside of the expectations of regular church practices that it's hard for me to just really focus on what God might have for me. I really do love all people, but sometimes I need to think about ministering outside of planned programs. In fact, most of my really memorable ministry experiences have been in personal relationships.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

I wonder what Jesus was talking about when he said that the disciples will fast when he was taken from them. He said it would be when he is taken from them. I wonder if he meant when he was killed, or if he meant when he ascended into heaven. Maybe he meant something else.

That's it for today. Until tomorrow, keep digging in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://iamembrace.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Paraylzed_Man-1280x720-podcast2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment