Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, February 19, 2015

#Mark4 - The Power of Analogy

Click here to read Mark 4:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

The Gospel of Matthew (which we just finished reading a week ago) also records many of Jesus' parables. It seems to be Jesus' favorite way of communicating about the kingdom of God. I am a very visual person, so object lessons and illustrations are very effective with me. I enjoy analogies and examples because they almost always brings lofty philosophical ideas down to earth and close to home. Jesus used examples like farming, planting and harvesting, tending vineyards, caring for sheep, and losing something of great value because his audience would have a great familiarity with these things and be able to relate to those deeper truths in that way.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

The story of Jesus calming the storm today reminded me of another time God calmed a storm almost instantly. In the story of Jonah (which can be found in the book of Jonah in the Bible), he is aboard a ship headed away from the direction God told him to go. While on the ship a great storm arises, and they deduce that it is Jonah's punishment for running away. When they throw him overboard the storm quieted down (Jonah 1).

3. What does this mean for my life?

In many ways I view my job as planting and watering seeds. When people come to our camp for a programmed event or a weekend retreat, they are coming to connect with God. Our purpose at Ingham Okoboji Lutheran Bible Camps is "To know Jesus Christ and to make Christ known to all." This is largely accomplished by using Scripture to help people understand God, life, and themselves better through worship, small group interactions, and lots of fun! In one week or one weekend we will rarely see the fruit of the work we invested, the seeds that we planted and watered. But I have to trust that God is going to use those seeds and that water to nurture life into those who come. So don't give up planting and sharing the good news.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Although I love parables and analogies, there are some that still make me say, "What? I don't understand." I feel like the disciples whom Jesus' rebukes when he says, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable?" Why does Jesus speak in so many parables like this and end up with people who are unsure.

I've got enough for today. Join me tomorrow, and remember "KEEP DIGGING IN"

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.wccnc.org/files/8713/7407/0523/Parables-01_580px.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment