Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, February 16, 2015

#JoshuaDaniel - A Lesson in Names

Joshua Daniel - 8 lbs 6.2 oz, 20" long
Today, I became a dad for the third time. My wife and two daughters (6 and 3) welcomed into the world the newest member of our family - Joshua Daniel Antoine. He was a healthy baby, and though I don't have time to blog about the bible chapter (I'll get it tomorrow), I want to share briefly about our son's name.

Joshua means "God is my salvation" or "The Lord saves!" Daniel means "God is my judge" or "The Lord will judge me". These two names combined form an interesting lesson in the character of God. On the one hand, we will all stand before God one day who will judge the "living and the dead" according to our works during our lifetime. And the reality is, nobody can stand up against that judgment as innocent. We have all sinned against God and have fallen short of his glory, making us guilty and deserving of punishment. Yes (Daniel) God is our judge.

But God is also the one who has provided salvation through the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus (a variant of the name Joshua). So even though God is the one we are accountable to, He is also the one who saves us. This may seem contradictory, but it's really not at all. It's just two different attributes of the same God.

It's like this. If I am a good dad, then I will protect and rescue my children at the risk of my own life. But I will also be the one to lovingly discipline them when they cross the boundaries we have set as acceptable. Disciplining my child does not diminish in any way my love for him/her.

Those are just some quick thoughts. If you want to read more about Joshua or Daniel as characters in the Bible, they both have whole books devoted to telling their stories that also happened to be named after them.

God bless, and keep digging in!

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment