Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, February 2, 2015

#Matthew21 - The King They Most Needed but Nobody Wanted

Click here to read Matthew 21:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

EVERYTHING in this chapter points to Jesus as king. He is fulfilling the prophecy about Zion's King. He commands authority in the Temple. He teaches with authority. His parables and the explanations point to him as the coming Messiah, the Son of God. But this wasn't exactly the rise to the throne that people wanted. Sure they were shouting "Hosanna," which means both "Save us!" and "Salvation is here!" For a really cool quick lesson on the meaning and history of the word, Hosanna, click on this article by John Piper! The people are rightly shouting for salvation for the one who can bring it. But they are thinking of a different salvation. They wanted Jesus to march right up to the palace and lead a rebellion against the Roman government. They probably would have supported him too. But he didn't go to the palace. He went to the temple. And he wasn't teaching about the kingdom of Israel; he was teaching about the kingdom of God. He was the king they most needed but nobody wanted.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Well, on a downer note, I can't help but read this passage and think about what's coming next in the story of Holy Week (in Matthew 26 and 27 - we'll get there). Today, crowds are shouting hosannas to the Son of David. In five days they will be shouting "Crucify Him!" Today they are laying down their coats for him. In five days they will be stripping his clothes off of him and mocking him. Today they are waving palm branches in his honor, in five days they will be whipping him and putting a crown of thorns to dishonor him. Today he is at the height of his (earthly) glory, and in five days he will be buried in death.

3. What does this mean for my life?

This piece of the story about the fig tree really hit home for me today. Not too many chapters ago, Jesus said that even if we had faith the size of a mustard seed you can tell a mountain to move. Now Jesus again says, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." I'm just convicted because I think if Jesus were to stand in front of me today and look at me, he would lovingly look at me as he did the disciples and say, "Oh you of little faith." I feel much more like the man who asked Jesus to heal his boy who confessed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

I think I just have more of a rhetorical or almost disappointed question about this passage. Why were the teachers of the law so hard-hearted towards Jesus. They should have been the ones most eagerly awaiting the Messiah, most aware of the prophecies, and most ready to receive this king. But I sort of answered the question above in large part.

God's blessings. Keep Digging In!

In Christ,
Dan

image from https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e4/47/dd/e447dd52706598362164baac4ae65a93.jpg

1 comment:

  1. That John Piper article was really cool! I always wondered what was significant about the people spreading out their coats on the road (v. 8). I also love how Jesus addresses the religious people in verses 24-27. I can almost see Jesus as being sarcastic, which is a funny way to picture him.

    Another verse I have questions about is v. 22- "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." What does this mean exactly? For example I believe that God could heal anyone from any disease. And I do pray in faith. But I know He doesn't always heal people. But I believed and I asked God about it in faith. I love prayer, but I definitely don't get it- maybe just 2%! :)

    ReplyDelete