Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#Mark9 - Servant Leadership

Click here to read Mark 9:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I love that two times in this chapter Jesus tries to explain to the disciples that he will be killed and then rise from the dead (v.9 and v.31). The first time the disciples were trying to figure out what "rising from the dead" meant. The second time they didn't understand again. I have to give them a little credit because Jesus often spoke in parables and metaphors, but it doesn't seem like it should need much explanation. What gets me most about this though is not the slowness of the disciples, but the resolve of Jesus whose mission was set from his birth. He knew his path was to die on the cross to be the sacrifice for our sins. Yet he did not waver in allowing his mission to be fulfilled. That's the kind of leader I want to follow.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

"Servant leadership" has become sort of a buzzword in both Christian and secular environments. It sounds really spiritual and can be thrown around lightly, but it really is the model Jesus teaches and preaches. This chapter brings that out in verses 33-37. "Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all." This was modeled in his life in many ways, but none perhaps so vividly as in John 13 when he got down and washed his disciples feet to show them how to serve. This was also written about Jesus in Philippians 2:3-11, how he humbled himself and took on the nature of a servant. So it's not just some catchy slogan to keep leaders humble, it is THE model of leadership that comes from Jesus.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Of all of the people in the Bible, I think the person I most connect with and relate to, is the father of the boy with the impure Spirit in this chapter. He knows Jesus is the answer, and he comes before Jesus for the solution, but his question reveals his true lack of faith. "If you can do anything..." Jesus is quick to reply, "'If you can...?" He had just been transfigured on the mountaintop after teaching, healing, and doing ministry for a long time now, and this father comes to him and says, "IF you can..." The father quickly and honestly clarifies, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief." When I am really honest, that is the cry of my heart. I do believe in Jesus as the Son of God, able to do all things, but I need him to help me overcome my unbelief in my times of doubting.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

The disciples were unable to drive out this particular demon, and Jesus seemed to rebuke both the disciples and the crowds for their unbelief. Yet when the disciples asked about it, Jesus replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer." What did Jesus mean? Some demons can come out by commanding them and others only by prayer? Jesus commanded the demon to leave and it left. But maybe for us we need to pray. Not that my whole faith rides on which demons to cast out by command or prayer, but that response just made me wonder.

Those are my thoughts for the day. I'd love to hear yours. God bless, and keep digging in.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.ncregister.com/images/sized/images/uploads/transfiguration-255x336.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment