Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, November 30, 2014

#Romans14 - Eat bacon for God!

Image from http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/
2012/10/12/six-pack-bacon-bacon-bacon/
Romans 14: 

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I like to eat. I'm not a glutton, nor am I even overweight, but I do like to eat. Paul talks a lot about eating in this chapter, so a lot of it stood out to me. :) It was interesting to me that Paul was less concerned about the technicalities of what you eat, and more concerned about how it affected others. We are FREE in Christ to do as we please, so let's use our freedom to help others feel welcomed in Christ. If I do something or say something that I don't necessarily think is wrong in God's eyes, but someone else is convinced it is, I SHOULDN'T DO IT AROUND THEM. The goal is not to be right, but unity in the body of Christ. I do have some questions about this, though (see #4). So that is why Paul says, "Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God." So I say, "Let's eat bacon for God!" :)

Oh, and also, my name is "Daniel" which means "God is my judge." So the fact that this chapter is all about remembering that we will all have to give an account to God, who is the judge, is pretty cool.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

I think to start to understand Paul's logic here, you have to know a little about the Jewish customs he is using as illustrations. One is food. In the old covenant law, God commanded the Israelites to abstain from certain foods, including shellfish, pork, and Colossians 2 for some references to these "holy days."
d others. Some of these can be found in Leviticus 11. Under the new covenant, God himself declared many of these things clean. See Peter's vision about eating clean and unclean food in Acts 10. Another example Paul uses here is if someone "regards one day as special..." This could refer either to the Sabbath day, or to many other festivals and special days that God initiated in the old covenant, that were sort of unnecessary in the new. See Isaiah 1 and

3. So what does this mean for my life?

I was pretty convicted while reading this chapter. It's pretty easy for me to fall more into the "Pharisee" camp and almost add rules to God's rules. Although I have questions about how far to take this (see #4), I have to be careful not to be judgmental of others, especially unbelievers or new believers. For them, some behaviors might not be a really big deal which for me might be off limits. But I have to be careful not to play judge and just call out their behaviors like a tennis match referee. I need to let God be the judge in order to help them come closer to God. I have to trust more that God will convict people as the Holy Spirit begins to grow into all areas of their lives.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

I have several. When are we supposed to "judge" the behaviors of others, and help them see that it is not God's desire? I'm not talking about condemning them to hell, I'm talking about things that God clearly outlines as destructive or sinful (i.e. filthy language, sexual immorality, gossiping, etc.). I don't think we're supposed to just plug our ears and close our eyes and hum a merry tune and think, "It's okay if they keep behaving that way. God will judge them in the end." So that's one question.

The second is this: how does this apply to things that aren't explicitly forbidden in the Bible, or at least in the new testament? Like should Christians watch rated R movies, listen to music with sexually immoral lyrics, smoke, get tattoos, etc.? I think this is more what Paul has in mind, but I just don't know.

Those are my thoughts. Again, a short chapter, but some really important life questions. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment