Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, November 22, 2014

#Romans 7 - The Do Do Verses

Romans 7: 

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

Paul makes some very interesting logical loops in this chapter. It's a little confusing. In fact, as I read it I couldn't help but think about the scene from the Princess Bride where Wesley is arguing with Fizzini in the "Battle of Wits." If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here to watch. Yet in the middle of Paul's "dizzying intellect," he gets his point across in reminding us that the law is good, the law makes us aware of our sin, our sinful nature sways us away from God's desires, and that Jesus Christ alone can deliver us. I have come to lovingly call this passage, the do-do verses.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

This reminds me a lot of Galatians 5 in the "Fruit of the Spirit" section. There Paul talks about how the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit and vice versa. "They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want." (Galatians 5:17, NIV). He emphasizes that there is a battle going on every moment for your desires and actions. Even if our heart desires what is good, our sinful nature or "flesh" will fight for pleasing itself. It's not a matter of who's to blame; we still choose one way or another. But we have to recognize the battle happening within us.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

Actually, these verses in Romans 7 are some of the most comforting verses I know. To know that Paul, who I consider a giant in the faith, struggled with temptation to sin helps me realize that he was human. More often than I'd like, the sinful nature ends up winning the battle and I just do or think what is good in the moment. But I know that, like Paul, I too have the ability and freedom in Christ to choose what is right every time. If I mess up, there is forgiveness and a second chance when we repent and confess to God. Praise God for his mercy, grace, and Holy Spirit.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In this chapter, Paul says that when the commandment came, sin sprang to life. Is he even including God's first commandment not to eat from the one tree in the garden? Because in Genesis 6, long before the law was given, Scripture is clear that "every intention of the human heart was only evil all the time." Just curious.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment