Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, November 20, 2014

#Romans5 - Peace The World Desperately Needs

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

As I read the first verse of chapter 5, I could not help but be swept away by the word "peace." Maybe it's because of the unrest (a gross understatement) in the Middle East. Maybe it's because of terrorism. Maybe it's because I just watched "Mockingjay Part 1," following the other Hunger Games movies, where PEACE is arguably the most desired and unattainable goal for Catniss. Since the creation of the world, people have been at war with God. Deep down, we want to be the "captain of our own soul, master of our own fate" to reference William Ernest Henley. Because of our inherited sinful condition we are enemies of God, not because God is at war with us but because we are stubborn children wanting independence from the rules of a "strict" but loving father.

Personally, I can't think of any greater thing than finding peace with God. The creator of the universe, the perfect and righteous judge, the loving and merciful father, the groom who pursues his cherished bride daily is calling out to us for peace. He invites us to come as we are, to put our faith in Jesus Christ, be washed of our sins, and let his love CHANGE us, TRANSFORM us, and SHAPE us into people who reflect Him more and more everyday. A cheesy Christian bumper sticker says, "No Jesus, No Peace - Know Jesus, Know Peace. I'm neither a fan of cute Christianese sayings nor bumper stickers in general, but this one has it right.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Philippians is another letter written by the Apostle Paul. Not surprisingly, there are some striking similarities in content. So Philippians 4 is one of the most quoted verses about peace, and in light of what we read here in Romans 5 it has a little more meaning. Philippians 4:6-7 say, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Another great verse that describes how Christ brings was actually written about him 700 years before Jesus was even born. Isaiah 53:5-6 says, "the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each us has turned to our own way..." Doesn't that sound like Romans 5? "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Wow!

3. So what does this mean for my life?

I am almost hesitant to write about suffering for Christ, because compared to so many of my Christian brothers and sisters around the world I know NOTHING of suffering. Many face mocking, harassment, being cut off from friends and family, being killed, or worse - being kept alive and tortured because they refuse to renounce their faith in Christ. There are many organizations seeking to make their stories known. One I personally have come to love and respect is Voice of the Martyrs (click here to visit their website). Our prayer tends to be for peace and an end to violence, while many of them ask us to pray instead that their enemies would find peace with God! I am convicted by them to not only offer myself for the sake of Christ, but to expect and endure and glory in suffering for Jesus's sake.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Some of Paul's wording gets a little confusing. I'm sure it was standard arguments in his time, but in our time it almost seems backward (not in the end result, just in the way it is presented). V.6-7 is one place, and some of the language in verses 12-21 make it hard to tell if Paul is comparing or contrasting Adam and Jesus. It's very possible he is doing both. Though the concepts seem pretty clear, the language gets a little tricky. That's not a real question, but it was confusing for me upon first reading it.

Funny how my longest post yet also happens to be the latest post, leaking into the "next day." Anyway, lots of good stuff.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment