Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

#Romans11 - Paul's Spiritual Botany Lesson

Romans 11: 

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

I am a very visual person. I tend to do well with charts, diagrams, and visual illustration. Paul's use of grafting branches into a tree really helps me understand what God is doing/has done here. Paul has already used language of being adopted as children into God's family, which is already an image that implies our helplessness and God's love. This image of grafting in branches is another one that really reveals how we are powerless to give life to ourselves. Paul also makes it very clear that the ingrafted branches were grafted in because of faith [in Christ], and the branches that God cut off were because of unbelief (although he even says that if they turn back and believe in Christ they will be grafted in again "to their own olive tree."). I especially love Paul's warning to those who are grafted in (namely the Gentiles, which includes anyone who isn't of Jewish descent) not to become arrogant, as if they deserved it. That's a reminder to all of us to be thankful for God's gift of grace.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

One phrase caught my attention that made me think of some other verses. In Romans 11:25, he refers to the gospel message and the inclusion of Gentiles as a mystery. This also occurs in Ephesians 3 and Colossians 1 and 2. Paul talks about the mystery of the gospel that has been kept hidden but is now revealed in Christ. It reminds me that as cliche' and sometimes misused as this saying is, "God often works in mysterious ways."

3. So what does this mean for my life?

For this question, I turn to the end of the chapter - the Doxology. I am very eager to study the Bible, very excited to discuss truth, very enthusiastic about discovering more of God's character and plan for the world. Yet I was convicted tonight that I don't often enough just pause and praise God, regardless of what I understand or don't understand at the moment. I'm glad this chapter and this section came the day before Thanksgiving so I can be reminded to just pause and thank God for all he has done.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In Paul's conversation about the grafted branches, he says that those branches who are cut off can be grafted back in again. He also says that the grafted in branches can also be cut off again. My question is this: "Is it possible to be 'saved' and then forfeit your salvation? Or is it 'once saved always saved' no matter what?" I tend to think that we don't just keep hopping in and out of salvation because of mistakes or doubts, but I do wonder if someone totally walks away from faith and rejects God and lives in sin if they won't "be cut off again."

Those are my thoughts. Time for bed. I'll need my energy so I can gorge myself tomorrow. Just kidding.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment