Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

#Acts26 - I Am Not Insane...True and Reasonable

Acts 26 -

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

As the blog title indicates, I was struck by by Paul's rationality and calmness throughout this whole trial. It served him well. He was patient with the whole system. He did not shout (even though Festus did), he spoke with honor and due respect for "most excellent Festus" and "King Agrippa," and he started over from the beginning. None of his language is overly accusatory either. I just think I might have acted otherwise, and I think that is really admirable.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

I have already mentioned that this whole process of Paul's journey to Jerusalem, arrest, and trial remind me of Jesus and his own reaction during the process. Also, during this chapter, Paul recounts his own journey to Damascus in Acts 9. But one of the things that caught my attention was when Paul said that they know from the prophets "that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles." I don't know where it says that Christ would be the first to rise from the dead in the Prophets, but there are three other places in the New Testament that say the same thing. Two are letters from Paul, and one is a vision given to John. 1 Corinthians 15:20, Colossians 1:18, and Revelation 1:5 all talk about Christ being the firstborn from among the dead. I know in Corinthians that whole chapter reminds us that our hope of rising from the dead is based entirely on Christ's resurrection from the dead.

3. What does this mean for my life?

At the end of Acts 26, King Agrippa asks is Paul thinks he can convince him to become a Christian in such a short time. Paul says, "Short time or long - I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am..." In previous chapters, we saw clearly Paul's integrity. In this chapter, we get a wide-open glimpse into his heart. His heart is not proud, it is not self-seeking. It is full of love, compassion, and a desire for all to come to know Jesus by faith and be sanctified through Him. He does not apologize nor is he is not out to offend anyone, but he speaks freely, reasonably, truthfully, and boldly about his faith. Lord, may you give me even more of your heart for people that I would also speak in the same way with the same energy about You, so that more people would know you and make you known to all.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

We never really find out here, but did King Agrippa ever come to believe in Christ? Paul seemed to have good reason that he believed the prophets. I know King Herod in the Christmas story believed the prophets enough to send detachments of troops to Bethlehem looking for Messiah to kill him.

I'd love to hear any responses or thoughts from others about the chapter.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment