Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, November 21, 2014

#Romans6 - Wanted: Dead AND Alive

Romans 6: 

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

There are two very strong images Paul uses in this chapter to describe a Christian's life. The first is life and death. Baptism is a symbol of how we have died to sin. The sinful nature in us is not our source of life anymore. Instead, just as Christ was raised from the dead, we too have been raised to a new life that the Holy Spirit empowers us to live. I think that immersion baptism really illustrates this perfectly, in that when the person goes under the water they are "drowning" the old, sinful self. When they come back up they are rising up to live a holy life, having had their sins washed away.

The second image is one of slavery. We are all in bondage to sin and cannot free ourselves. Naturally we let our master be our own desires. Whatever we want and whatever pleases us - that is our master. That master is sin. However when we are made new, washed clean, and born again into the new life, we offer ourselves as slaves to righteousness.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Well the language of death and life is used in other key passages as well. Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ. I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Colossians 3:5 commands us to "Put to death...whatever belongs to your earthly nature..." and then lists a whole bunch of destructive and sinful behaviors. This is obviously a pretty serious warning to not even let those desires and behaviors get even the smallest foothold in our lives.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

First, there is a verse in this chapter that every Christian should memorize. Romans 6:23 says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." It's a powerful verse, similar to John 3:16, that shares the whole gospel in one verse. I need to have this in my "hip pocket" to help me be ready.

Secondly, there's the very personal and practical commands to offer the parts of our body for righteousness. I need to make sure my hands are engaged in Godly work, my words are building others up, and my whole body is not engaging in immoral behaviors.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Because Paul talks about Baptism in this passage, I would like to know, "What would Paul say about Baptism today? Would he take a side in the "believers baptism" vs. "infant baptism" debate? Would he favor young or old to be baptized? Would he tolerate our practices and teachings about it? It would be cool and crazy to have him here today explaining all he meant.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment