Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, November 23, 2014

#Romans8 - I In Christ, and Christ in Me

Romans 8: 

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

As the title indicates, I was really blown away by the promises of God that appear in this chapter. Yet each of them is linked to the phrase, "in Christ" or "Christ in me." Paul reminds us here that as Christians we find our identity no longer in ourselves or in the world but "in Christ." He also reminds us that the Holy Spirit of God lives in us who trust in Him. It is that Spirit at work in us to transform us and make us more and more like Jesus everyday (that we let it). I just thought that dichotomy was really neat.

2. How does this relate to any other passage I know?

I know I referenced Galatians yesterday too, but there is so much in here that is similar to Galatians as well. For instance, verse 14 says, "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God." Galatians 4:6 says, "Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'" These two strongly link being children of God with the Holy Spirit filling us and guiding us.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

Verse 28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him..." I need to always keep this in mind. This doesn't mean, "Everything will work out great," but it does mean that God will always work for our good, even in the middle of the hard times. I think especially of Joseph, who was beaten up by his brothers, sold as a slave, wrongly imprisoned, and forgotten. Yet he still said at the end of the story, "God brought me to Egypt. What you intended for harm, God intended for good." I need to have that perspective in life.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

It seems very clear after reading this chapter again that Paul is addressing Christians. How would this message change if he was addressing unbelievers? I think most of it would change. But I think verse 38-39 would remain the same. Nothing could separate anyone from God's love, but that doesn't mean someone couldn't still reject him and be separated from God himself. Is that a right way to think about it?

I welcome your thoughts, questions and comments. Read with me.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment