Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, November 28, 2014

#Romans12 - Caterpillars in the Bible? Well, sort of...

Romans 12: 

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

Romans 12:2 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Recently I paid close attention to the verb tenses in the verse and realized something very important. It says "Do not CONFORM...but BE TRANSFORMED..." Conforming is something we do to ourselves. We try to make ourselves "fit in" and look like everyone else around us. Like in the books of Judges and Samuel, the Israelites wanted a king so they could be like all the other nations around them. God warned them what would happen, but they still wanted one. But in the end, it is something we do to ourselves. On the other hand, the next verb says BE TRANSFORMED. Notice it doesn't say "conform yourselves" or "try harder to look like Jesus" or "transform yourselves." It says, "BE TRANSFORMED." That is a passive verb. Actually the Greek word that is translated "transformed" is "metamorphoo," which is where we get our word for metamorphosis. A caterpillar goes through a transformation, but it's not something that's done on it's own. It simply submits to the process God has created so it can "be transformed" into a new creation. In the same way, we ought to simply "be transformed" by God's word and God's processes to let him shape us into the image of his Son.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know.

One of my favorite illustrations for what the church is supposed to be is found in verses 3-8, namely that the church is like one body with many parts. Each part performs different tasks and has different gifts, but is important to the function of the whole body. One of the longest passages where Paul talks about the body is in 1 Corinthians 12, and he also illustrates the church in this way in Ephesians 4. Each of these three passages provides insight into this illustration, as well as the different gifts found in the body of Christ. If you struggle with what your place is, look in each of these three places and see if any of the gifts describe you.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

I was struck by the end of this passage where Paul talks about loving your enemies. Especially striking was the final verse, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." We use this verse with our children to talk about not "getting revenge" or hitting back, but rather showing love even to those who are being mean to us. It is an simple concept, but not an easy one for anyone to put into practice. I would have a really hard time actually thinking of anyone in my life right now as an "enemy," but there are plenty of times where even the people I love rub me the wrong way for a moment. My reaction is a good indicator of how I'm letting God transform me in this way.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This is a pretty big question, but how are we as Christians supposed to apply these types of verses to war and terrorism? Or even to self-defense on a personal level? At what point do we still bear arms and defend ourselves in the world, and how far is too far? I find myself having a hard time justifying 100% pacifism and 100% war mentality with a biblical backing. Yet everything in between is gray. That's hard.

Some big thoughts from a very practical chapter. I'd love to hear thoughts from others.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment