Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, November 17, 2014

#Romans2 - Tolerance, Repentance, and Eternal Life

Romans 2:

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

Like most of the world, Christian and non-Christian, I tend to cringe a little when I hear the phrases "Turn or Burn," "Repent or Perish," or "Judgement Day is Coming!" It doesn't seem like a winsome preaching or evangelism style. But today's reading from Romans 2 sounds like Paul's version of a "turn or burn" sermon. The word that really caught my attention was "repentance." Paul says that God is richly kind and patient with people and their sin. He tolerates a lot. But God's tolerance is intended to lead us to repentance (v.4). God does not tolerate sin forever, nor does he condone sin while being patient. There will be a day when all of us will be judged according to our works, and we will all be found guilty according to the law. But this passage says that for all who repent, turn to God, and follow him, He will give eternal life (v.6-7). But to those who are unrepentant and reject the truth, there will be wrath and anger (v.8). So Paul's title for this brief passage might be "Repent (which literally means to turn around) or Remain Under God's Wrath (which might be even more harsh than "burn")." So next time I hear a Christian preaching that, I'll cut them a bit more slack (although I might still suggest an alternative approach). Also, lest anyone thinks that Paul's message here is related to being saved by doing good works, please read very carefully the next 6 chapters of Romans in which he very strongly argues against that idea.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture you know?

Continuing with the theme of "repentance," Paul wasn't the first one to preach repentance. In fact, the first sermons by John the Baptist and Jesus both were, "REPENT, for the kingdom of heaven has come near." (Matthew 3:2, 4:17) Repentance was also a major theme in the old testament. Examples that come to mind are Job (Job 36:9-11), the whole nation of Israel through the prophets (Isaiah 59:20, Jeremiah 15:19, Ezekiel 14:6), and the story of Jonah and Ninevah. This is another really good reminder that the God of the old testament is the same as the God of the new testament.

3. So what does this passage mean for my life?

The whole second half of this chapter is really, really, REALLY, convicting. Though it was written originally to Jews and teachers of the law, it can easily be applied to Christian leaders and teachers. The first chapter and a half were really easy to get caught up about judgment and wrath, but this part of the chapter (v.17-29) reminded me that apart from Jesus I would find myself square in the path of God's wrath. I need to daily repent of my sin and strive for what is right, to live a life of integrity so that my life would reflect God's character more and more. Plus, I can't even do that on my own. I need God's Holy Spirit to fill me and empower me to suppress the flesh and embrace the fruit of the Spirit. This chapter was very convicting both as a reminder of God's righteous judgment and my need to be grateful for all God has done by living my life in a way that honors him.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This question is related to yesterday's question. In chapter 1, Paul writes about how God's invisible attributes are made known through creation so that no one is without excuse. Today, in chapter 2, Paul says that whoever hasn't heard the law will be judged according to the law. I'm not even sure how to phrase the question, but here's the simplest way to ask: "How does God judge people who have never heard about Jesus? Do they automatically go to hell? Do they automatically go to heaven? Are they judged according to their heart and how they obeyed their "conscience"? I'm just not super clear on this.

I'd love to hear some responses.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment