Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, November 10, 2014

#Acts25 - Life or death? It's a win-win for Christians.

Acts 25 -

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

In this saga of Paul being put on trial time and time again, it seems like everyone is walking on eggshells...except for Paul. The Jews are trying to use just the right words to get Festus to hand Paul over to them without sounding like criminals themselves. Festus is trying to do the Jews a favor but knows he can't convict an innocent Roman citizen. The only person who is speaking boldly is Paul. He knows he is innocent, and he knows he speaks the truth about Jesus. Because of this he is assertive in protecting himself from wrongful accusation and wrongful processes of the law. 

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

As I read this, I was struck by Paul's statement, "If, however, I am guilty of anything deserving death, I do not refuse to die." He is not trying to weasel out of anything. In fact, he is not afraid to die at all. It reminds me of what Paul wrote to the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 15:55-56. "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." It's also reminiscent of what he says in Colossians 1:20-21 about how to live is Christ and to die is gain. Paul is certain of his salvation, not by his own works, but by the righteousness that comes through faith in Christ. He is not afraid to die, but he is not looking for death either because he knows that as long as he is alive it will mean fruitful ministry to God. Life or death? It's a win-win for Christians. :)

3. What does this mean for my life?

Because this chapter is mostly a "transcript" from the court proceedings, it's harder to pull a life application from this. However, and I risk sounding redundant from yesterday's blog, it is clear that Paul lived a life of integrity. Even before he entered the temple, he ceremonially washed himself and did not break the Jewish customs or laws. He went beyond God's requirements (which allowed him to eat "unclean" foods and associate with Gentiles) and even submitted to the religious authorities. In my life, I want to win people over by my actions and my words. If that means going beyond what God requires to appeal to a group of people, by all means I'll do it. Dress code in church is a good example. Can I worship God in blue jeans and a hoodie sweatshirt? Absolutely. But if wearing dressier clothes when visiting certain congregations will cause fewer people to stumble and earn more respect from people, I'll gladly do it. That's a big part of what freedom in Christ is all about. I am free to raise my hands in worship or free to keep them down. I am free to sing hymns while leading worship or free to sing newer songs. Whichever will lead more people into praising God rather than bringing attention to myself is what I am compelled to choose.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In this passage we see that Paul's case is going to move on to Caesar. This was from one province in the Roman Empire. I wonder how many cases Caesar had to officiate in a year. Were there other officials who presided over cases, like a lower court to deal with "smaller stuff?" 

There are definitely times like today, when I would actually just love to keep reading more than just the one chapter. But I know this journey through the Bible will be a marathon, not a sprint. So I'm just gonna thank God for His word for me today, and trust that he will have another feast for me tomorrow. :)

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment