Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Acts 17 - All Greek to Me


1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

In verse 2, the phrase, "as was his custom..." stuck out to me. It was like an automatic for Paul to preach and reason in the synagogues trying to win people over to Christ. This phrase stood out to me because it was always predictably followed by jealousy, persecution , and near death experiences. Many people today may have urged him to get a new hobby. :) Yet Paul really couldn't help himself. He felt the urge to preach JESUS as Messiah no matter what the consequences would be. 

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Acts 17:26-27 talk about people seeking God and finding him. Jeremiah 29:11 is probably one of the most quoted Bible verses, but right after that we get these verses, "Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. "(Jeremiah 29:12-13 NIV) right after that God says, "I will be found by you." I love that God is like a Dad playing hide and seek. He doesn't really hide, and he is not far from anyone. 

3. What does this mean for me. 

I'm always impressed by the Bereans in this chapter. They didn't immediately receive it but they didn't immediately reject it either. They diligently studied the Scriptures to see if Paul's teaching lined up with the Bible. I feel like sometimes I am quick to either accept or reject certain teachings. I need to be more like the Bereans, examining the Bible for accuracy. 

4. Do I have any questions about this chapter?

I think my only real question comes from verse 26 where it says got appointed our times. What does that mean?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. God bless you this day. 

In Christ,
Dan 

No comments:

Post a Comment