Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, December 1, 2014

#Romans15 - Paul's Travel Plans, God's Way

Image used from http://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/map-italy.html
Romans 15: 

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

It was interesting to me (having previously read the book of Acts) that Paul had written this letter with a plan to visit Rome on his way to Spain. In verse 31 of this chapter, Paul asks for prayer that he would be kept safe from the unbelievers in Judea in order to allow for this desired journey to take place. As we know from the book of Acts, Paul's journey to Jerusalem did not end well. He was arrested, held prisoner during a two-year trial, and ended up as a prisoner in Rome. In the end, he was able to visit the people in Rome, but it was in a much different way than he originally planned.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In Isaiah 55:8-11, we read that God's ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts are higher than our thoughts. I believe this story is an appropriate application of that verse. Paul had this strong desire to visit Rome for the sake of the gospel, but it happened God's way instead of his. This concept also reminds me of the story of Joseph in Genesis. Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, and ended up wandering to Egypt. That's probably not how anyone would have planned it, but in the end even Joseph said, "God brought me here." God can use the weirdest, simplest, or most complex means to accomplish His will. I'm amazed he chooses to use me. :)

3. So what does this mean for my life?

I need to be open, not demanding when it comes to God's will for my life. Just like Paul, I have desires to do certain things related to ministry or sharing the good news of God. I have lots of ideas, like writing children's stories, composing an orchestral interpretation of the Bible, writing ministry books, etc. Yet I don't think now is the right timing. So I am surrendering these desires to God, being open to the leading of the Holy Spirit to show me when and how those desires might be fulfilled for God's greatest glory.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

My main question is simply this, "How do we know when the desires within us are from God or just from ourselves?" Obviously I'm talking about the desires for good and not evil. Those are a little easier to discern.

That's it. I'd love to hear from anyone else about these topics or others that stuck out to you from this chapter.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment