Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, March 12, 2015

#Luke1 - A Careful Investigation...

Click here to read Luke 1:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I really love how this chapter, and book, starts out. Luke is obviously an educated person, desiring to "set the record straight" on this Jesus thing. He wants to know facts. He wants to know details. He wants to write an orderly account so that others will have a logical, "objective" picture of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He sets out on a careful investigation of EVERYTHING. Later in Scripture we find out Luke was a doctor, a highly educated person, so it was likely from this introduction and the type of Greek language he wrote with that he was writing primarily to a highly educated upper-class Greek-cultured audience. Matthew was written for a Jewish audience, and Mark was written for the common person. It's neat to discover that there aren't just three of the same gospels, but rather they are written for different audiences.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

I would have loved to hear Zechariah's song, whether it had melody or whether it was more like spoken poetry. But the words are recorded here, and they make it clear that Zechariah (like most Jewish men) were very familiar with the Scriptures (our Old Testament). Many of his "lyrics" are thoughts, stories, or prophecies straight from Scripture. Here are just a few. Verse 78 is taken right from Isaiah 9:2, and the last part reminds me of Psalm 118:105 (your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path). Other verses harken back to the Exodus speaking of God as redeemer, while still others speak of promises made to David and Abraham. It's really neat to see that he didn't have to use an online Bible search tool to find those verses. Rather those passages were right on his heart and quick to come out.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Mary's response to the promise and command of God astounds me. "I am the Lord's servant...May your word to me be fulfilled." What a powerful statement of trust, obedience, and submission to God's will and plan. She didn't know what was going to happen, and what she could imagine might happen was likely not positive. But she still said, "I am your servant." I know Jesus was too young at that point to understand her words, but it's like he learned that attitude from her when he prayed in the garden, "not my will but yours be done." It is an encouragement to me to know that when I don't know what else to pray, I can simply pray, "I am the Lord's servant...may your word to me be fulfilled."

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

This is kind of a funny thought, but when the angel Gabriel told Mary that she would give birth to a Son, and that he would be the Son of the Most High, rule on the throne of David, reign over Jacob's descendants forever, and the his kingdom will never end, it was like she didn't question any of it but wondered physically how she would have a baby. It's kind of like someone saying to me, "Dan, you are going to purchase a candy bar that contains a ticket for a one-way ride to the moon, where you will meet Elvis Presley, and sing songs forever!" And then me responding, "But how can this be since I left my wallet at home?" Like I don't question at all what's going to happen, but just how I'm supposed to buy a candy bar when my wallet is at home. I guess it does just show her faith that with God all things are possible.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://morristowngreen.com/files/2014/09/Detective-with-magnifying-glass.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment