Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, March 29, 2015

#Luke15 #Luke16 #Luke17 #Luke18 - Powerful Parables Prior to the Passion

Click here to read Luke 15-18:

(Author's note: Sorry if you have been looking for a new blog in the last couple days. After an incredibly busy weekend leading a youth retreat, I am playing "catch-up and doing four chapters at once. I would much rather do the opposite, spending more time on less than a chapter, but I really do want to stick to my goal of a chapter a day. So these comments will come from this whole section.)

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Interestingly enough, the four chapters I happened to be forced to combine are probably the four most "parable-rich" chapters in Luke. So because it is not possible to discuss each parable, I want to comment specifically on the "lost" parables in chapter 15. If you just read the parables, you might miss the fact revealed in verse 1 and 2 that there are two very distinct audiences within hearing range of this story session. The first is a group of tax collectors and sinners. The second is a group of Pharisees and teachers of the law. The message comes out in the first two "lost" parables, but is perhaps embodied best in the the parable of the lost son. The story contains two sons and one loving father. The youngest son squanders everything and comes home to find a father who rejoices at his returning. The older son despises the younger son and the father's reaction to his return and hardens his heart despite the father's continuous blessing of the older son. The message is the same to both groups - "FATHER GOD IS THRILLED TO SEE HIS CHILDREN REPENT AND RETURN TO HIM." For the tax collectors and sinners, Jesus' message was to repent of their behaviors and follow him. To the Pharisees, Jesus' message was to repent of their attitudes and hard hearts and follow him. To me, Jesus' message is to repent of my own ways and follow him.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

There were several times in these four chapters that made me think back to the beatitudes in Matthew 5. The parable of Lazarus made me think of "blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Even though he wanted food every day, he was eventually filled with all the goodness of God. Jesus' teaching on forgiveness reminds of "blessed are those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy." When Jesus healed the leper's, the last word they would have used to describe themselves was pure, but they saw God and his healing power.  There were others too. Those were just a couple examples.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Out of all of these chapters there were many verses that inspired or encouraged me, but only one that cut me to the core. Luke 17:10 says, "So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'" Jesus was very consistent throughout his ministry to model and emphasize serving others. In my life, God has used different people and passages to help root out the sin of pride in me. It was pretty deep, but I believe God has brought me a long way. But as I read this verse tonight, it acted like a final sieve to reveal some pride that exists. After you serve, after you work hard, after you pour yourself out for the sake of the kingdom of God, don't sit there and expect a big thank you from God. He doesn't owe you anything. Now, we know God listens to us and one day we can hear a "Well done." But in my life, in my ministry, I want to be so confident of God's work in me, that I don't need to ask for anything like that.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What message is Jesus trying to get across through the parable of the rich man and Lazarus? Is it a simple theme like, "Don't let worldly riches make you think you will be saved?" What does this parable reveal about heaven and hell? That they are forever separate with no cross-over? That there are no "second chances" That hell is continual torment? Or is this parable really about a simple message with nothing to do with the actual heaven and hell? Those are my questions.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSm__LsLYaviKfOkLOK4QBrBF6fzR_ulpbOcuWfWb915V7ZLWDQ

No comments:

Post a Comment