Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, March 22, 2015

#Luke11 - Shameless Audacity

Click here to read Luke 11:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Two words: shameless audacity. I have read this passage before, although it's been awhile. I always knew it was about prayer, but for some reason as I read it today it really hit me: GOD WANTS US TO BE BOLD IN ASKING FOR THINGS IN PRAYER! In three ways Jesus gets the point across that we can ask God in prayer for things. Please don't read this as saying that God is a genie and we get whatever we want. But if we need something, we should turn to God first. Jesus says, if you earthly fathers like to provide for your kids, and if your earthly friendships are strong enough to give to each other, just think about how much more God, our heavenly father, wants to provide for us and bless us. I think the last time I read this was before the NIV was updated, so I don't think the words "shameless audacity" appeared before. Yet those two words really struck me today.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verses 29-32, Jesus declares that the only sign that will be given is the sign of Jonah. If you don't know the biblical account of Jonah, it's a short read (only 4 chapters in the whole book). He was in the belly of the whale for 3 days and then was spat out to witness to the sinful Ninevites. Jesus was in the tomb for three days, then rose and appeared to the disciples who witnessed to the world. But that's where the comparison ends for Jesus. He is saying that even though the Ninevites were sinful, they listened to God's word through Jonah and repented. He's saying that if the Jews don't listen to him and refuse to repent, they will be condemned in the final Judgment, while the repentant Ninevites will enter heaven. That should have been a huge wake-up call for the Jews, who put the Ninevites right up there with Sodom and Gomorrah in terms of sinfulness.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Next time I'm at a pastors house for supper, don't start proclaiming woes on them, or they might be insulted and try to kill you. :) Just kidding. Seriously, my personal application came from the first point I made about asking for things in prayer. I pray, but often catch myself wondering if God will do it, since it doesn't seem as "urgent" or "important" as many other needs in the world. But I need to ask more boldly for things I need: either in ministry, or family, or financially, or health. God can still say no, but he is still telling us to ask more often and more boldly.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I don't totally understand when Jesus teaches about the strong man. He describes a bit about what happens to demons when they leave a person, but how can a person prevent them from coming in again? It's possible Jesus was saying that God is more powerful than demons, and unless God is living inside of you, you're vulnerable again to demons. But it's still really confusing.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.atlanticag.com/uploads/3/9/4/9/3949245/4858616_orig.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment