Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, March 15, 2015

#Luke4 - Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Click here to read Luke 4:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Multiple times in this chapter, Jesus says that he has come to "proclaim the good news." Although he wasn't the one standing on the street corner shouting it out like a newsboy, it was spoken with the same idea. "I've got news to share, and it's good! Freedom for the prisoners, good news to the poor, the year of the Lord's favor, and the kingdom of God." In a sense, when Jesus read the scroll in the synagogue and said that the words in the Scripture were about him, he was basically announcing, "This is it. Listen to me." In a sense, that's what God said at his transfiguration, "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him." But as soon as Jesus began to speak a word that was even slightly negative about the people in the congregation, they tried to chase him out of town and get rid of him. Apparently, even good news can be offensive if received with the wrong attitude. :)

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

The account of Jesus being tempted helps me to see that Jesus was human. He was tempted, just like I am. The difference is that he was totally reliant on the Scriptures and the Spirit of God within him to resist temptation. This is exactly what the writer of Hebrews wanted us to know about Jesus, our new high priest. "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin." - Hebrews 4:15 I also thought about the verse in James 4:7, "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." That is exactly what Jesus did, and that is exactly what Satan did.  These connections are really cool, because it helps me to believe that these verses can be for me too. It's not like Jesus is superman repelling bullets. He is fully human and resisting temptation in the same way we CAN resist temptation when we face it daily.

3. What does this mean for my life?

When Jesus began to quote Scripture, he started with "The Spirit of the Lord is on me..." The Holy Spirit that he received at his baptism also came upon the apostles at Pentecost, and also lives inside each believer in a mysterious way that unites, equips, and empowers us to be his hands and feet in the world. I need to constantly remember that living a life that honors God is less about "trying hard" and more about listening and surrendering to the movements and guidance of the Holy Spirit within me.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

How could the crowds so quickly move from being amazed at his teaching to furious rage that caused them to want to throw him off a cliff? If someone speaks with great authority from Scripture, and then points out something in my life that needs to conform to Scripture, I'd like to think I would be pretty open to hearing that instead of wanting to throw that person off a cliff.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://inbound.anchorstl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Extra-Extra-Read-All-About-It.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment