Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, March 14, 2015

#Luke3 - Repentance: A Dying Art

Click here to read Luke 3:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Almost all of the non-genealogy text in this chapter is about John the Baptist. Specifically, it describes his ministry, which centered on a message of repentance. His baptism was a symbol of being washed of a previous pattern of behaviors, and committing to honor God with every area of life. In essence, repentance is the art of dying to our sinful ways, and living instead in God's ways. Repentance is not a popular message - just take a quick poll of preachers and you'll find that out. It's not fun telling people they need to change their ways. It's nobody's desire to have their "flaws and shortcomings" pointed out by anyone. Nobody WANTS to hear a message of repentance, but the reality is everyone NEEDS to hear it at some point. One of my observations of the current spiritual climate in our culture is that the message of "REPENTANCE" is being replaced with the message of "TOLERANCE" and "ACCEPTANCE." I believe these things are not mutually exclusive and are both critical to helping people become a part of the body of Christ. However, without hearing "repent", what comes across is something like, "You're okay. I'm okay. We're all okay. As long as we don't start talking about what God expects of us and how we're falling short, we'll all be just fine." God wants us to come as we are, but as long as we're following him, he wants to change us and conform us to become more and more like him.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Repentance implies both a change of heart/mind and a change in behavior. If there is no behavior change, there likely is no real heart change. And if there is no heart change, it's likely that any behavior change will last. Throughout Scripture, repentance is arguably THE key step in avoiding God's judgment and wrath, and entering into his blessing and life. Just listen to some of the prophets speaking to Israel in the following passages:

"The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins," - Isaiah 59:20
"This is what the LORD says: 'If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me" - Jeremiah 15:19
"Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall" - Ezekiel 18:30
"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" - Ezekiel 18:32

A powerful story about repentance is that of Hezekiah, king of Judah. He had major pride issues, but he repented and received the favor of the Lord. His story is found in 2 Chronicles 32.

3. What does this mean for my life?

One of the points in my spiritual life that I grew the most in one experience was when a good friend of mine had the courage to call me to repent of some pride issues. He had nothing to gain personally, and he did it in love. So instead of getting defensive or justifying my behavior, I received his words and repented. From that point I hope that I have been open to receiving correction and quick to repent of sinful behavior. It's also really interesting to me that John's words to the people are not blanket sweeps of general sins. That would have been easier. But he calls each group of people to integrity within their own lives. He told the tax collectors not to collect more than what was required (which they had a reputation of doing). He told the soldiers not to extort money and accuse people falsely. To the crowds he talked about caring for the poor. To the husbands he might have said, "Stay faithful to your wives and don't lust after other women." To the pastors he might have said, "Don't let the dreams of wealth or numbers for your congregations turn you away from sharing the unaltered truth from my word." It's not hard to understand. We can probably all describe the most common pitfalls of our own jobs and family situations, and we all know our own pitfalls as well. John's message (and God's message) is repent of those sinful patterns and follow me and my ways.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

When Jesus was baptized, what did that whole seen look like with heaven being opened and the Spirit descending like a dove on him? Did all the others notice it too? Why wouldn't they all know right away that was the Messiah?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://frlouis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/repent.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment