Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

#Matthew8 - Touched by Jesus

Click here to read Matthew 8:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

In the first story of healing, Jesus not only proclaimed healing for the person with leprosy, he TOUCHED him. Now, a lot of people use that in a deep emotional sense of the word, "That message really touched me." I think we say that because there is something incredibly powerful about safe, healthy, loving physical touch. Someone with leprosy would have been used to people shunning them and walking to the other side of the street. As a result, they would likely not have experienced any sort of physical touch since they contracted the disease. This touch of Jesus not only brought physical healing, but I believe it meant so much emotionally as well.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

After Jesus heals the Centurion, he reveals that like the Centurion who had put his faith in Jesus, many who were outside of the Jewish heritage would also receive salvation through faith in Christ. And some who were Jewish would be rejected by God because of their rejection of Jesus. This reminds me of a parable Jesus told of the wedding banquet in Matthew 22. The king invites people to a wedding banquet, but the guests don't who up. The king then invites everyone who is out on the streets to come in.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

As I read this chapter, I couldn't help but put myself in the position of the townspeople whose pigs Jesus had just driven off a cliff. At first I think, "Who cares about the pigs? Look at what he did for the demon possessed men." But then I think there may have been times in my life where I wanted to take a step back from God, because he revealed himself in a way that made me uncomfortable. Maybe he asked "too much" of me. Whatever it is, I need to let God be God and follow Jesus wherever he leads.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In verses 18-22, some people want to follow Jesus, but Jesus dismisses them with some comments. Why did Jesus dismiss them? They didn't seem like unreasonable statements or requests. One person simply declared a desire to follow Jesus wherever, but maybe Jesus knew that he would not be able to follow through on that declaration. Another wanted to bury his father, but I guess we don't really know what that situation was. Maybe his father wasn't even dead yet, and he was saying in effect, "As soon as my father passes away I'll join you." I just wonder what the circumstances were that would cause Jesus to answer in the way that he did.

Have a splendid day.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer's%20Corner/ten_lepers.htm

4 comments:

  1. Dan, do you see the story of healing the man with leprosy as a directive to be an live your faith by showing what God does in your life? Jesus said, "Don't go and tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."

    With the Centurion, it was almost like Jesus was surprised! Is that even possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, great questions and observations. I don't fully know the answer, but here are some of my thoughts. I don't think the healing of the man with leprosy was necessarily an object lesson to show your faith through actions more than words (although that is a strong theme throughout the Bible, especially the NT). There is a mystery about Christ that he didn't always want to be revealed until the right time had come. This is not the only time he wants to wait to reveal himself, (John 2:4, John 7:8) and he even silenced some demons who would've revealed it. I think that is more the reason he told the man to wait.

      About Jesus being surprised, I don't know if surprised is the right word. Elated, I think he wanted to make an example to all of his Jewish followers. His complimenting a Gentile, and a Roman soldier would have almost been an insult to the Jews, but it would definitely get their attention. Great thoughts.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if in verses 18-22 Jesus wanted people to know what they would be getting themselves into. It is a very common belief that following Jesus will make Christians exempt from all trials and troubles. But Jesus says in John 16:33 Jesus says that we will have trouble in this world. But He then says to take heart because He has overcome the world. I love that verse and the promise therein.

    I have always wondered after Jesus drives out the demons into the pigs and the herdsmen go tell the people in the town, that the whole town comes out and begs Jesus to go away and leave them alone. Why do you think that was? Because Jesus was breaking them out of their comfort zone? Were they afraid He would lead them to change their ways? Always confounded by that passage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In regard to the townspeople's response, it could just be that their livelihood was at stake. Despite the miracles, Jesus had just killed an entire herd of livestock. If someone came to my town or farm and killed my whole herd of livestock, I'd probably ask someone to leave too, I suppose.

      Delete