Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

#Matthew4 - 3 Simple Steps to Fight Temptation

Click to read Matthew 4:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I am always struck by the immediacy of the disciples decision to follow Jesus. I have learned that this encounter in Matthew 4 where Jesus calls them from their boats is probably not the first time they have ever seen or heard Jesus. They have likely heard about him or seen him by this point. But that makes their reaction even more astounding and believable. One thing is for sure, they left a lot behind to follow Jesus: family, familiarity, dependability on jobs and income. What did they get out of it? A LIFE THAT IMPACTED ALL OF HUMANITY FOR ALL OF ETERNITY!

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In John 1:35-42, we see that some of John's disciples, (Andrew being one of them) encountered Jesus and went to get his brother Peter for a closer look. So this is part of the reason we believe that Matthew 4 was a follow up invitation to follow this rabbi for good. Immediately following that chapter in John is how Jesus called two other disciples, Philip and Nathanael.

3. What does this mean for my life?

It is strangely comforting to know Jesus actually did face temptation, so that I know he can relate to us in that way. Yet throughout the time Jesus was being tempted, he was unwavering. His means of fighting temptation was not simply toughing it out, nor was it finding something else to distract him. The way Jesus "dealt with" temptation was to recall Scripture and resolve to let that be the final word of authority in his life. I wish I could say I've had the same method of fighting temptation, and especially the same track record as Jesus. Unfortunately I have given in too many times out of fatigue, stress, or just plain old selfishness. I need to remember to follow Jesus's game plan when temptation comes my way: Recall Scripture, Resolve to Obey, Repeat as necessary. 3 simple (but not easy) steps. When I do sin, I need to repent and remember that God's grace is much bigger.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

As Jesus began his earthly ministry here in Matthew 4, it says that Jesus healed "EVERY disease and sickness among the people." (v. 23) My question is, "Is it always God's will to heal people? Do we have that same authority and responsibility to heal others if the answer is yes?" I know the Holy Spirit resides in each of us, and I know that people have both prayed for healing and "declared healing" and experienced real healing from God. I also know faithful followers who have prayed for healing for themselves or others and not received it. I don't know that this question really affects how I live my life, as I will keep praying for healing. I'm just curious to understand God's heart in this.

That's it. God bless.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://ichabodthegloryhasdeparted.blogspot.com/2013/02/first-sunday-in-lent-2013-invocavit.html . 6 Jan. 2015

1 comment:

  1. The Scripture that comes to my mind as I read this passage is Psalm 119:11 "I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." This is a passage that I claim quite often and share with kids at our church as they receive their very own Bibles for the first time. I think Jesus' example in this chapter is spot on to the truth of this verse. The 3 Rs are a great way to think about fighting temptation, from which no one is exempt.

    I also think it is interesting that the crowds began to gather and follow when Jesus started healing people (meeting their earthly needs). Sometimes I wonder if Jesus only met spiritual needs through teaching, prayer, etc. if as many people would have followed him. I think it is human nature to be attracted to the supernatural in the physical realm far more than in the spiritual realm. Just interesting to ponder...

    ReplyDelete