Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, January 17, 2015

#Matthew11 - Are you the One?

Click here to read Matthew 11:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Matthew dedicates a good portion of this chapter to share about the relationship between Jesus and John the Baptist. John has been imprisoned at this point, but he has heard about the teaching and miracles ministry of Jesus. Even though he baptized Jesus and basically declared that he was the Messiah, it seems that he just really wants to know and to hear it from the mouth of Jesus himself. So in typical Jesus Fashion, he doesn't directly answer the question. Instead he quotes Scripture that is being fulfilled through his life. We don't get to hear John's response here, but Jesus gives some pretty high marks for John. :)

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In the reply Jesus gives to John's disciples, he seems to be directly referring to the passage from Isaiah that he quotes in his public teaching debut of sorts. The best description of this incident is found in Luke 4: 18-19. 

3. What does this mean for my life?

I love that John is not afraid to ask Jesus, "Are you the one we've been waiting for? Or should we expect someone else?" Sometimes in my own faith life I feel like I'm waiting for something to happen, or someone to come. I often need to remind  myself that "The next best thing is already here!" Jesus is the one we're waiting for. 

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

At the end of the chapter, Jesus encourages us to take on his yoke which is easy and light. Other places though Jesus really lays out the cost of discipleship. Why does He make it sound so easy on the one hand and so hard on the other?


God's blessings!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://natgeotv.com/uk/head-of-john-the-baptist

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting in this chapter that Jesus, in verses 20-24, denounced the cities in which He had done miracles. It makes me even more convinced that miracles are not necessarily to be wowed and amazed at something that happens but, instead, to reveal the holy power of God which is meant to lead us to repentance and to complete discipleship. In our human nature, we want our needs met- the sick healed, the dead raised, the lame to walk, etc. But our ultimate need is for a Savior. Perhaps the purpose of miracles is to reveal the importance of the greatest miracle of all- salvation for our sins.

    ReplyDelete