Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, January 29, 2015

#Matthew19 - God's Plan for Marriage

Click here to read Matthew 19:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

The chapter opens up with some Pharisees asking Jesus about divorce. Divorce is a touchy subject today, because it affects a lot of people and becomes very personal very quickly. But what I observed in this passage is that Jesus doesn't just address divorce, he basically reveals God's best plan for marriage. In verses 5-6, Jesus reiterates what God declared all the way back in Genesis about marriage, that it was designed to be between one man and one woman, for life. Anything outside of that design (divorce, adultery, homosexuality, other sexual immorality) is not approved by God. There is no place in the Bible where God speaks favorably of any of these other actions or behaviors. And every time God talks about marriage in Scripture, it says, "husband and wife," or "man and wife."

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Jesus also talks about divorce and adultery in Matthew 5:27-32. He uses almost the same language. And what is notable is that many people read this part about divorce thinking Jesus allows it or even blesses it in the case of sexual immorality or unfaithfulness. When I read it, I don't think he is saying it's somehow "okay" under these circumstances, I just read it to mean that under these circumstances, you are not making your spouse a victim of adultery because they have already committed it. I don't think Jesus ever says divorce is okay.

3. What does this mean for my life?

PLEASE DON'T MISS THIS. It would be really easy to read the first two sections and think that I am standing in judgment over people who are divorced as if God hates them. NO. God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16), but he never stops loving divorced people. Are there second chances for divorced people? ABSOLUTELY. Just like I get second and third chances when I stumble in sin and repent. Is divorce unforgivable? ABSOLUTELY NOT. It is in no way my intent to condemn divorced people, but rather to point out my observations in this passage about God's design and ultimate hope for marriage. I need to remember that for all people, that we are all sinners saved only by grace through faith in Christ. Christians are simply believers who are being transformed into Christ's image daily through the renewal of the Holy Spirit.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

The story of the rich young man is actually kind of puzzling to me. When he honestly asks Jesus what good thing must I do to get eternal life, why didn't Jesus just say, "There's nothing good you can do to earn this, you must simply repent of your sins and believe in me?" Why did Jesus answer him by telling him to obey the commandments? Why did he say he had to sell everything he had? I realize that on some level he was pointing out his deepest sin, which seems to be putting all his trust in his wealth. But there's no follow up. The answer to the man's question from Jesus is, "Sell everything and give it to the poor." Weird. Then there's the challenge of applying this to us. Is every Christian really supposed to sell everything that we have and then give it to the poor? Or is it just for "wealthy people" which would describe a great majority of American Christians (myself included) when compared to the rest of the world. I don't know it's just a weird one.

I'd love to hear some thoughts. Oh, and speaking of marriage, there is a great marriage retreat coming up Feb. 13-15 at Ingham Okoboji Lutheran Bible Camp which is using the DVD series of "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage" by Mark Gungor. CLICK HERE for more info.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.truthdispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/I-DO-Marriage-Series.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree that those who get divorced get God's grace, love, and forgiveness just like the rest of us for our sins.

    As for the rich young man...i think Jesus was simply pointing out his sin to show that he did not keep God's commandments as he said he did. We are saved by faith, not by works. But a God centered life will lead to many good works, not because it will lead to our righteousness, but because it is what Jesus would do. When i read that story of the young rich man, i took it very literally at first when Jesus said it is impossible for a rich man to make it to heaven, but then he came back and said anything is possible with God! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, great observation about Jesus stating that anything is possible with God. Jesus has some other strong warnings about not letting money be your top priority in life, so this falls in line with all of those.

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts from both Dan and Nick. Thanks for the insight! One of the simple questions I have about this passage is when Jesus blesses the children (verse 15). I always wonder what He said to them, because whatever He said those are the exact same words that I want to say to my children as well as other children!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he said, "Would you like a sucker? Every pastor from now until eternity is going to hand them out at children's sermons, so you might as well get used to them."

      On a serious note, I think there are so many ways to speak life into a child it kind of doesn't matter which specific words you choose. "I love you, and I always will," is a good start. :)

      Delete
  3. I think hearing from Jesus himself that God loves you would blow my mind! But i would guess that was one thing Jesus told the kids. How fun would thag be?

    ReplyDelete