Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, January 18, 2015

#Matthew12 - Hope of the Nations

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

There are two reactions people have toward Jesus in this chapter: Hope and Hatred. It is clear that as Jesus heals and teaches many rightly put their hope in him. Some ask, "Could this be the Son of David?" They were beginning to see that he really was the Messiah. Even the prophecy quoted from Isaiah spoke of this: "In his name the nations will put their hope.” (v.21) Yet others, mostly the religious leaders and teachers only harden their hearts. It's sad, really.  

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Jesus actually refers to two Old Testament stories in a row. One is the story of Jonah, which has a whole book in the Bible dedicated to it. The other is Solomon being visited by the Queen of Sheba which we read about in 1 Kings 10:1-13. Both of these stories are worth reading or rereading to help see Jesus's point here in Matthew. Both included people understanding and revering God through Jonah and Solomon, even though Jews would have seen these groups as unclean Gentiles. Jesus speaks a strong word against the Pharisees when he says that they willed be condemned by these unclean groups at judgment day because they rejected an even greater sign than Jonah and Solomon. 

3. What does this mean for my life?

"But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken." (Matthew 12:36 NIV) This verse stood out to me as a stark reminder that I  responsible for my words and actions in this life. What really hit me is that it is not just mean words, vulgar words, or words spoken in anger that will be condemned, but also empty words. How many words have I spoken that are pointless, without meaning, or just filling the gap. Words are powerful. They can change a person's life. Lord help me to carefully speak words of life as I have opportunity. 

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

In this chapter we learn about the one "unforgivable" sin: blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What is that exactly? The Pharisees were witnessing the Spirit at work healing people and called it evil, saying that it was of Satan. But what is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

God bless. 

In Christ, 
Dan

1 comment:

  1. I have heard blasphemy of the Holy Spirit explained as complete rejection of the Gospel, which the Holy Spirit working in someone's heart. That makes sense to me because if you reject Jesus, you will be without Him forever.

    My question in this chapter is from verses 43-45 when an evil spirit leaves a person, goes out in search of another "home" but then comes back with seven more spirits and, even though the former person is "clean" enters back into the person. I do not get that at all!

    And every time I hear Jesus talking about good and bad trees/fruit (verse 33), I pray that He will make me good fruit! :)

    ReplyDelete