Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

#Matthew14 #Matthew 15 - No Rest for the Righteous

Click here to read Matthew 14-15:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I've known about the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand people for as long as I can remember. The story would often come up in sermons or Sunday school lessons. But after reading the chapter today, the surrounding events make this story even more remarkable. Just before this event, Jesus learns that his cousin, his prophetic forerunner, John the Baptist has been beheaded. On learning this, Jesus just wants to get away and have some time away from the crowds, so he goes with his disciples out on a boat. But the crowds follow him and are gathered in large number when they land. When Jesus saw the crowd he could have yelled something like, "Can't a guy just have one moment of peace? Seriously!" Or he could have just quietly said to his disciples, "Oh shoot, the people followed me here. Quick let's turn around and go somewhere else." That's probably what I would have done. But Jesus had compassion on them, and he healed their sick. Then when the time came he fed them. There is no break in following God, no retiring from doing God's work in the world, no rest from the pursuit of righteousness.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In this passage, Jesus boldly teaches the Pharisees that what you eat does not make you unclean. He basically says, being "unclean" in God's eyes has nothing to do with washing, or what you eat. It has everything to do with the sinful nature and actions of a person. This reminds me of the story in chapter 10 of Acts, which was the first book I started blogging about, where Peter is called to visit a Gentile. He receives a vision where God shows him all the animals that had previously been labeled as unclean. Then God tells him to kill and eat. Those were some of the ritualistic laws in the old testament that had been fulfilled by Christ and therefore cancelled on the cross.

3. What does this mean for my life?

While the choice to read two chapters was simply in order to make up for my missing yesterday due to a crazy schedule (it happens), it was interesting that these two chapters contained two different stories of Jesus feeding large crowds. What caught me though was not that he did essentially the same miracle twice, nor was it the difference in the numbers of loaves and fish and people. What caught my attention was when Jesus faced hungry crowds for the second time (who knows how much time passed in between, but only one chapter) the disciples asked him, "Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?" I wanted to slap the disciples and say to them, "Duh! Are you that dull? (which Jesus also says to them in this chapter) Do you not remember that Jesus just got done feeding a larger crowd with less food? Don't you know he can provide what you need?" And as soon as the thought entered my mind, I realize that I am just as dull (if not more) than they were. I often wonder how God will provide in each situation. Whether it's personal finances, ministry finances, staff or volunteers, I often begin to question God just like the disciples. But he has never failed to be faithful to his promises. Lord, help me trust you every step of the way.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

In the encounter between Jesus and the Canaanite woman, Jesus says, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." It's clear the disciples don't want to waste their time with her. But the comments Jesus makes almost seem like he is trying to make a point. Like he is either testing or displaying her depth of faith. My question is simply, "Why did Jesus wait to answer her request for healing? Why did he answer the way he did?"

Well, we're back on track with reading. :) Keep digging in. I welcome any other comments from either of these two chapters.

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6c38kSziu1r7ygo8.jpg

1 comment:

  1. The same things struck me, too, Dan! I am amazed that Jesus still was able to have compassion on others and attend to the many needs around him when he probably just wanted a little P and Q.

    I also always enjoy the story of Peter walking on water. Sometimes I think we give him a hard time. "Peter! Come on! Why did you get caught up looking at the waves?" But we forget that he was the only one who actually got out of the boat. No one else did! There is a book title that has always intrigued me called "If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat." That's where the real adventure is!

    ReplyDelete