Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

#Matthew18 - The Power of Forgiveness

Click here to read Matthew 18:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

I noticed a theme in this chapter, two really that caught my attention. The first is sin. Jesus gives a stern warning for anyone who causes a little one to stumble, and uses a hyperbole to illustrate the gravity of sin. (Verses 8 and 9 are also pretty convincing verses that there is a real hell, and it is eternal, and it is fire. Some say that hell is just not living forever, or that it's not painful, it's just drab. But that is not how Jesus describes it here.) But the chapter sort of transitions in that it still talks about sin in the form of a wandering sheep, a debt that can't be repaid, and a hurt relationship. However now Jesus lingers on the need for forgiveness and restoration. The shepherd seeks out the lost sheep and returns it to the fold, the one believer points out the others sin in love and for the purpose of restoration, and the master forgives the servant a great debt.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Jesus words and warnings in verses 8-9 echo, almost repeat word for word, his warnings in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5, especially verses 27-30.

Also, the story of the wandering sheep can be found again in Luke 15 as the "Lost Sheep". It is right next to the "Lost Coin" and the "Lost (Prodigal) Son" parable.

3. What does this mean for my life?

When Peter asks Jesus how many times he is supposed to forgive someone, Peter thinks he's aiming high and sounding really righteous when he says, "Up to Seven?" Apparently that was way more than was taught at the time. Jesus answer blows up the glass ceiling of forgiveness when he answers "seventy-seven times," or "seventy times seven." I don't think Jesus means for us to keep track all the way that high. In his culture, (because of Scripture), seven held a meaning of completeness. Multiples of ten, like a hundred, or a thousand, could mean "more than you can count." So when Jesus multiplies 7 times 10 times 7, no matter what the translation it means "more times than you could count. Long story short, this is convicting to me to be quick to forgive. Even if it's not the first time, or the 489th. :)

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

After reading the parable of the unforgiving servant, the last verse is really a shocker. It sounds pretty harsh. My question is, "How do I interpret this last verse truthfully and faithfully to Scripture?" It would be easy to water it down to something like, "So it's important to forgive others, because God loves us." But is unforgiveness in our heart like an unforgivable sin? I don't know. I tend to start interpreting verses as quite literal until other Scripture paints a different picture.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this chapter.

In Christ,
Dan

image from https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiaKUJ08JSb69ejwKwVycJdTN1leXG9xJ6ohHZizDVVKhDag0fOfYt8uWbKkZV3B7Mc494u1kI2K4brausXZO1L8jj324jSPApQXr72ezLvw5IQa9eqvX9WNMrj9XgwnQxoZ_jZ8nHATN4/s1600/seventy-times-seven.jpg

2 comments:

  1. As I read this chapter I am inclined to pray for a few things- 1. The faith of my own children, that they will remain having a child-like faith (not childish!). 2. That I will also have child-like (not childish!) faith. There is a big difference between child-like and childish. Many Christians have a childish faith- including me at times! I think faith like a child means having faith that all things are possible with God. Childish faith means being angry with God when things don't go our way, tantrums included. But, even with childish faith, Jesus still loves us, which is cool, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts. I don't think I understood this passage as much until I had kids of my own. But no matter how they are behaving, I have never once stopped loving them. It has not even crossed my mind to do so. I've yelled at them, disciplined them, and corrected them when they were disobedient, and I have not granted every request they've asked for. Yet I have not stopped loving them. Praise God he's even a way better parent than I am. :)

      Delete