Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, January 8, 2015

#Matthew6 - Rewards and Treasure!

Click to read Matthew 6:


1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Every time I've read this chapter before, I think I have looked at it section by section. I'm amazed that I never really noticed the comparison and contrast that takes place in the first part of the chapter with the second part. The first part is all about rewards and the second part is about treasure. There is a strong notion that if you live out your life in order that others might see you and praise you, then that will be your full reward. But if you give, pray, and fast in order that you might draw near to God, without the praise of others, it will be God who will reward you. The second part encourages us not to seek rewards and treasure on this earth, through material gain and earthly possessions, but rather to remember that our real treasure lies in heaven. We are called to "seek first his kingdom and righteousness" and all of the earthly things will be given to us by our loving heavenly Father.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verses 25-34, there is a strong theme of God being a loving father who gives good gifts to his children. He will provide for our needs. In fact, the first part of the next chapter goes on to expound on this theme (which makes sense, because there were originally no chapter/verse markings). But it also reminds me of a verse in James 1:17, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

3. What does this mean for my life?

My personality is one that generally favors routine, predictability, and planning. Sometimes the encouragement to "not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself," is a hard one for me to grasp. Now it is not wrong to make plans, and it is very wise stewardship to plan ahead and be prepared. However, the verse doesn't caution against planning, it cautions against worry. For me, those too often go hand in hand. I need to learn to trust more, pray more, and worry less. God has been faithful to provide for me for every one of the 31 years I've been alive, so I think I can believe that he will continue to do so. :)

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Why has fasting become less popular in our church today? Jesus talks about it here by saying, "When you fast..." He doesn't say, "If you decide someday to fast..." What really is fasting, and why should we practice it? I have really not learned about this much, but would love to know more.

That's it for today. I will be off the electronic grid for about 3-4 days, so there will be a break in posting until Sunday or Monday. And apparently this blog has not automatically posted to Facebook in about a month. I think I fixed it though. I'm not doing this for the praise of others, though, rather for all of our growth and encouragement.

In Christ,
Dan

image from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAYQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DygZKUxuOmO0&ei=w4CuVKS3DMenNoyXg7gB&bvm=bv.83134100,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNHhkhODNrxrD4SihTEyv3M4ALVLnA&ust=1420808533477271 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dan! I appreciate your insights! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed the fasting part. I have learned some in the past but it does seem like a mystery at times. From what I have learned it is basically emptying yourself of something you depend on (i.e. food) and every time you think of that thing or at the time you usually do that thing, you spend time in prayer crying out to God. I have heard stories of crazy things happening as a result of prayer and fasting. But it is definitely hard to go without food especially! It would be cool if our churches taught on this more and encouraged this more.

    ReplyDelete