Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

#Matthew5 - Lower the Limbo Bar

Click to Read Matthew 5:


1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

If you have ever done the limbo, you know that you keep lowering the limbo bar until only one person can get under. They then are the winners. But, if you were to keep lowering the limbo bar, even the world record holder for limbo would not make it. In many ways, that's what it seems like Jesus is doing. In the Old Testament, God gave the Ten Commandments and actually about 600 commandments in all. It seemed almost impossible for anyone to fulfill all of them and be righteous. Still there were a very small group of people (Pharisees and others) who for all practical purposes lived in very strict adherence to the law, and were also very quick to point out the shortcomings of others. Now when Jesus came, he did not say, "Don't worry about following the laws anymore." Rather he "lowered the limbo bar" of the law so that even the Pharisees would have to see that they needed a Savior. The law said don't murder, but Jesus said don't slander a brother and sister in anger. The law said don't commit adultery, but Jesus said don't even lust after someone else. It becomes very clear that we need a Savior.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verse 14-16, Jesus says "You are the light of the world...let your light shine before others that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." In John 8:12 Jesus says, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Earlier John says in chapter 1, "In him [Jesus] was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." In Isaiah 9, a popular Christmas prophecy, Isaiah says, "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned." Light and darkness is a HUGE theme in the Bible, and it is a great illustration of the Kingdom of heaven coming down to earth.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Besides all of the limbo bar lowering, and my realizing how much I fall short and need a Savior, I think this image of being the light of the world is the biggest application for me as I read this. Knowing those other passages helps me realize that the light that shines through me is NOT me at all. Rather, it is Christ living in me. That's why Jesus says people will see our good deeds and praise our Father in heaven.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In this passage, we see that Jesus does not abolish the law, but fulfills it. In fact he emphasizes certain laws and takes them even further. The question that I have is, "What OT laws and regulations are still in effect for us today? Are there some that are not binding on us today?" It seems that throughout the New Testament there are sections that say we are free from some of the external regulations, like ritual cleansings, eating certain meats, certain festival laws, sin offerings and sacrifices, etc. But it seems like all of the moral laws are still in effect.

Have a great day.

In Christ,
Dan

image from rockhillchur.ch

1 comment:

  1. I remember a few years ago, our pastor from Sioux Falls did an amazing sermon series on Matthew 5. There are such powerful things in this sermon. The cool thing about this is that right before in chapter 4, we learn that large crowds were following Jesus. He used that opportunity to share about the Kingdom of Heaven with a whole bunch of people. I wonder what it would have been like to be part of that crowd that day! And I wonder what many of them thought. Maybe the religious folk were convicted. Maybe the common folk (Gentiles) were encouraged. Interesting to think...

    One of my favorite verses in this passage is the very last verse of the chapter, where Jesus lowers the bar the most in my opinion- "But you are to be perfect, just as your Father in Heaven is perfect." Yikes. I am definitely not perfect. But, with Christ in me, and if that is what God sees when He looks at believers, then Christ's perfection outdoes my imperfection and God sees Christ- the epitome of perfection. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Hebrews 10:14 which says "By that one offering (Jesus), God perfected forever all those whom he is making holy." To me, that says that, like I just said, when God looks at us, He sees Jesus. But that also means that He is working in me throughout my whole life until the moment I die to make me more and more like Him. I think that is so very cool!

    ReplyDelete