Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

#2Corinthians5 #2Corinthians6 - Father Fix-It

Click here to read 2 Corinthians 5-6:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

We all know at least one guy who can confidently wear and live up to a "Mr. Fix-it" sweatshirt. Almost regardless of the type of thing that's broken, they can restore it back to near perfection. I am NOT one of those guys. If I need more than a Leatherman I struggle. The big churchy word in these chapters is "reconciliation". 6 SYLLABLES! But really reconciliation here is simply about fixing broken relationships. When two people have a fallout, their coming back together is called being reconciled. In 2 Corinthians 5 especially, we see that we all need to be reconciled with God because our relationship has been broken by sin. The good news of the gospel however, is that in Jesus Christ our sins can be forgiven so that our relationship with God can be fixed. In fact, this chapter goes so far as to say that the ultimate purpose of the church is to be messengers and ministers of this message of reconciliation with God through Jesus. It's a big deal. So the title of this blog is not about some handyman priest. Rather it is about our heavenly Father who has made it part of his eternal mission to fix broken relationships. He deserves the ultimate Father Fix-It mug...or something like that. (After all we know that He-brews) :)

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

This whole concept of being reconciled to God, our Heavenly Father, makes me think immediately of the Prodigal Son or Lost Son story told in Luke 15. It's a great picture of a son who walked away from his father, disowning him really. After losing everything he realizes that he was better off with his father and hopes his dad will hire him back as a servant. The father, however, has no intention of doing that. Without hesitating for one second he immediately restores to his son all the love and rights of being a son and celebrates his return. This part of the story really captures God's forgiveness.

3. What does this mean for my life?

We do have a charge in this passage. We are all called to be Christ's ambassadors, "as though God were making his appeal through us." I had to step back and think, what do people think about God's invitation through me? Am I sharing those words at all with people around me? Is my life reflecting the character of God so that people want to be reconciled with him? Am I modeling reconciliation in my own relationships to be obedient to God and to be a good witness for him? Those questions gave me a little pause this morning.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Paul makes a pretty strong statement. He says, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers." I know the yoke is referring to the tool that links oxen or cattle or horses together so they can pull the wagon or plow at the same speed. But is Paul saying, "Don't marry someone who is an unbeliever?" Or is he saying, "Don't go into business with an unbeliever?" Or is he saying don't be friends with an unbeliever?" Maybe there will be a gray blurry line here no matter what, but a little clarification might help.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.giftsforyounow.com/images/products/fathersday/Mr-Fix-It-Tools-Coffee-Mug_28900m.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment