Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

#1Corinthians15 - No More Sting

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 15:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I once heard a story about a young boy who was allergic to bee stings, and he knew it. One day he was riding in the back of the car with his dad driving. As they were driving a bee flew in the window and was buzzing around the car. The boy became almost hysterical in fear, but suddenly the dad grabbed the bee out of the air and held onto it. He winced in pain as the bee stung him, and he let the bee go. The boy was still frightful until the dad explained that even though the bee is still alive, the stinger was gone - and he showed the boy his hand where the stinger was still embedded. "So you see, son," he said, "You don't have to be afraid of the bee anymore. It can't hurt you." That's the best example I've ever heard of this passage in 1 Corinthians 15:54-57. Death is still a part of life, but as believers we don't have to be afraid of death. The reason people are afraid of death is because they either don't know what happens next, or they know that we will be judged guilty and have not trusted in Jesus for forgiveness of their sins. Death no longer has any sting or power because through faith in Jesus, our sin is paid for and removed from us. He took the stinger for us. Now we can simply enjoy life to the fullest.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verses 9-11, Paul humbly acknowledges that he does not even deserve to be called an apostle because of the life he used to live, but because of God's grace he was still chosen to believe and carry out the work of God. That is the very definition of God's grace - that even though we don't deserve it, God still chooses to bless us by giving us the gift of eternal life through faith in Jesus, and furthermore he still chooses to use us to advance the gospel and His Kingdom. Paul shares something similar in 1 Timothy 1:12-17. He explains this same concept, even calling himself the worst of sinners. I don't believe he is being smug or sarcastic. I think he just truly feels the depth of God's love and grace.

3. What does this mean for my life?

If I had to choose one word to describe how this passage impacts me and my life, I would choose the word "hope." Paul talks about how if Jesus hasn't been raised from the dead, then none of us will be raised from the dead, and we have no hope but what we can muster up in this life. Yet he goes on to say that in fact, Jesus has been raised from the dead - according to the Scriptures which foretold it's coming and to many eyewitnesses who saw him. Because there is really not much hope to be found in this life, ALL of our hope lies in Jesus. This is good news, because we can count on God to fulfill his promises. So now I am able to life this life to the fullest without fear, and full of hope in the life to come. This is incredibly freeing and allows me to love others, serve others, give generously, and follow God to wherever, knowing who holds my future.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This isn't a logical question, but rather a curious wondering. What will our heavenly bodies be like? Will I finally be able to dunk a basketball? Will my joints no longer crack and creak? Will I be able to eat whatever I want? I'm not sure any of this will even matter at all in heaven, but I just wonder what it will be like...

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn16071/dn16071-1_300.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment